PDA

View Full Version : feeding methods

roxy25
09/05/2008, 09:35 PM
What tools or what do you feed your palys ?

As for zoas what do you feed them?

I feed my palys S marine pellets , as for the zoas nothing yet since they don't take in food like the palys.

Are amino acids good ?

What are some other food good to feed them all ?

650-IS350
09/05/2008, 10:45 PM
Kerry,

I only really feed polyps that show the grabbing food motion like Palythoas, protopalys, granidi's and some zoanthus gigantus... for smaller type zoas... real good lighting and good flow is food enough. I used to does live phyto that I used to culture but it just made my pod and some dreaded polyp eating ampipods.

xMRxCOMPLETEx
09/07/2008, 02:45 PM
I mix, Coral Frenzy, Msis Shrimp, Squid, Marine Snow, and some Phyto and feed the larger polyps the shrimps.. and the small polyps a just squirt the jucies over the polyps

650-IS350
09/07/2008, 03:24 PM
I feed cyclopeeze granuals, soft sinking shrimp pellets, frozen cyclopeeze and mix of crushed pellets/flake food/ etc...

roxy25
09/09/2008, 03:09 PM
I have cyclopeeze also and some flake food. Hard to feed the freezed dried cyclopeeze.

For the coral frenzy do you just dump in the tank ?

650-IS350
09/09/2008, 03:20 PM
I just get some tank water in a cup, and thaw out some in there then turkey baste it amongst the feeding type polyps and corals. Mixed with crushed granules and soft sinking pellets all over the corals. But I do turn of all pumps and means of water movement before and after feeding for 15-20mins. to allow the corals to grab and eat.

roxy25
09/09/2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the info

I have a few more question now , As for the feeding , I know it gets messy and most of you have skimmers . How often should I feed tank if I only have a 20 gallon with no skimmer and do 5 gallon weekly WCs?

I been feeding my fish more and providing more food for the tank for more growth on corals but notice that some parms are out of wack.

Today I am doing another 5 gallon WC to clean my water up

Almon
09/09/2008, 04:59 PM
I don't target feed any polyps. The Palys will feed on the opportunistic meal that is floating into them.

xMRxCOMPLETEx
09/09/2008, 05:50 PM
I have a 14 Bio and a 30 Gal tank. 30 gal has a HOB filter and nano is just modded up a little with the biocube skimmer..

But I feed the zoas in my 30 about 3 times a day and my 14 gal twice a day. But tanks have ) or undectable trates and ammonia...

Im also a lazy bum about water changes :eek2:

650-IS350
09/09/2008, 10:19 PM
Don't know about that Kerry.
It could be ok as your doing 25% WC's,

But its like its like playing with fire.. Feeding lots, NO skimmer.. all you need is a couple of dead snails or dissapearing dead fish and there goes your nutrient content ....

Why not even do some ebay skimmer at least? I cheap skimmer is better than no skimmer..

roxy25
09/09/2008, 10:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13324224#post13324224 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 650-IS350
Don't know about that Kerry.
It could be ok as your doing 25% WC's,

But its like its like playing with fire.. Feeding lots, NO skimmer.. all you need is a couple of dead snails or dissapearing dead fish and there goes your nutrient content ....

Why not even do some ebay skimmer at least? I cheap skimmer is better than no skimmer..

Im not that desperate for a skimmer ... I been doing great with no skimmer for over a year lol

I don't feed my fish but a few times a week if that , I was only interested in feeding the zoas since I am now addicted to them.

I will wait till sapphire aquatics ships out there new skimmers :D

Logzor
09/09/2008, 10:45 PM
The only zoas/palys I feed are my people eaters. They take up food like aussie duncans!

I happen to feed them a homemade food made mostly of blended raw fish/shellfish meat. I use a turkey baster and I place a small plastic container over them to keep fish and snails from snatching the food.

With daily / bi-daily feedings I have gone from 13 to 30 polyps in a months time. You can really powerfeed these things and see new polyps by morning, its insane.

I will post before and after pics with dates when I get a chance.

650-IS350
09/09/2008, 11:05 PM
To be honest... I only feed my polyps ( Directly ) 1 or 2 times Bi-weekly at most.. most of the time I just turn of my skimmer during feedings and crush my soft sinking pellets in to dust and spread them in the tank... the polyps will eat when the debris fall in them.

roxy25
09/09/2008, 11:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13324368#post13324368 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Logzor
The only zoas/palys I feed are my people eaters. They take up food like aussie duncans!

I happen to feed them a homemade food made mostly of blended raw fish/shellfish meat. I use a turkey baster and I place a small plastic container over them to keep fish and snails from snatching the food.

With daily / bi-daily feedings I have gone from 13 to 30 polyps in a months time. You can really powerfeed these things and see new polyps by morning, its insane.

I will post before and after pics with dates when I get a chance.

cool please post pictures

Logzor
09/09/2008, 11:30 PM
Well here is the shot taken with 13 polyps, counting the baby in the front taken on July 24th.

http://fc07.deviantart.com/fs31/i/2008/206/9/7/People_Eater_Non_Blurry_by_Logzor.jpg

Now there are over 30, I am having trouble counting them, actually.

The front baby one has grow full size and three more has split from it and are now medium size to give you an idea. I will try and get a new picture tomorrow.

roxy25
09/10/2008, 01:03 PM
cool ! , I had another question but forgot what it was

IFbettas
09/10/2008, 07:31 PM
I feed my paly's mysis soaked in selcon every now and then. Lately I've been feeding more, trying to get a grandis paly frag to take off.

seapug
09/10/2008, 08:20 PM
I usually just turn the lights on. There are a couple that catch the mysis that get fed to the fish, but for the most part they feed on light and junk in the water column.

dtpollard
09/11/2008, 11:34 PM
I feed my Palys the hikari bio-pure mysis shrimp and cyclopeeze to anything small that seems to take food. I target feed to keep things healthy and growing. I get some tank water in a shot glass and defrost frozen food and then use my target feeder to feed about everything.http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/179993Feeding_Tube.jpg