PDA

View Full Version : Metal vs Wood Stands

wardworld
09/06/2008, 07:11 AM
More 210 Planning/Research:
Are there any specific benefits vs. hazards with going with a metal stand as opposed to a wood one? Perhaps material cost? Labor (if you don't weld)? Strength?
Opinions???

amehel0
09/06/2008, 10:20 AM
well steel stands leave more room for under tank sumps, they are imo sturdier and stronger(depending on how it is built. and how a wooden one your comparing it to is built). i made a stand that was

1870x950x1000 mm this cost me a total of 450+ 130 to powdercoat it. i welded it myself with no prior welding experience.

im sure i could of made it for 400+the 130 only i bought some peicesi didnt need.

one thing i may add is i cannot work with wood. im good with metals(used to be a locksmith) but i never really went out on the road to do jobs on the doors.

ladi8t3r
09/06/2008, 11:13 AM
^^^^what he said but the biggest plus for me as he stated is the space gained its a big difference. HTH

dots
09/06/2008, 09:37 PM
Either can be used effectivly. The main advantage of steel, is that it is a homogeneous material and is consistent (in theory and in attempt) at all points compared to wood. Wood is organic and is frought with voids and inconsistencies that may lead to breaking or splitting where knots exist, insect damage, internal rot, or splitting radially from the center heart.

These concerns with wood can be addressed by design, sizing and type of material. Proper selection of the pieces one plan to use and quality craftsmanship go a long ways.

While in college, I worked in lumberyards and pretty much have seen everyting a tree can do. It was quite funny to hear what one would have to say when complaining about the "quality" of the lumber when I would reply:

"Show me a perfect tree, and I will show you a perfect piece of lumber."

Keep this in mind.

Stepping up to a higher grade material, such as "D-select" Douglas Fir as compared to the "Sandard and Better" Green Douglas Fir can combat these issues, perhaps even a hardwood such as Oak if so desired as Hardwoods have a denser cell structure....hense the name, which lends to greater mechanical properties. Naturally, this will "eat up" any cost benifit of using wood over metal as this tends to be the general guiding motivation.

To combat this, most oversize the green Douglas Fir to compensate, but this creates a stand that leaves less interior space, which is premium real estate for equipment and storage. This is where steels shines, as a smaller material dimensional geometry may be used.

Because of the tolerance of fabrication, the continous welded joints that allow for greater mechanical connection and load transfer, using a steel stand has the added benifit of not relying on plywood sheathing for shear strength when properly designed, which allows even further accessibiliity to your equipment for maintenance and repair. One may simply "pull the panels off" and go to work.

Over time, if the "crown" of the wood is not orientated correctly, there may be a possiblitity of the wood to fatique or relaxation. Equally, the use of "Green" lumber if not dried prior to using may shrink causing joints to loosen. At all possible it should be "Air Dried" in the garage for a couple of weeks, or if at all possible purchace "Kiln Dried" lumber.

The main con to steel is fabrication, most people are either not experienced in metal fabrication techniques nor want to budget or pay for the added expenses, as most are familliar with basic woodworking techniques, perhaps even already owning the required tools and looking for an excuse to use them.

If one did want a steel stand without welding, mechanical fastening such as bolted connections, tie plates, forced fits, could be considered, but the cost of these mechanical fasteners, the time to fabricate is greater, while potenially not equaling the welded joints and its mechanical performance after all that. Paying one to weld it up would be easier and cheaper in the long run.

Obviously, I could be a skilled Carpenter and have access to the best quality wood and create a very elegent wood stand, or be a Metal Fabricator who has years of TIG welding experience with hundreds of feet of scrap Stainless Steel at by disposal and can lay a "stack of dimes" with thier eyes closed.

Equally so, one could screw either up with enough disregard to Form, Fit, and Function.

The main things to consider: what is best for your needs, your resources and abilities, budget, as well as personal preference.

The design itself overall plays the biggest role so it is "6 of one, half dozen for the other" most of the time until that is fully determined.

It would be my recomendation that as the tank gets bigger and bigger, the stand should lean more and more towards steel. As these will hopefully be long standing tanks with years of service.

wardworld
09/07/2008, 06:02 AM
Many thanks Dots...much to consider.

amehel0
09/07/2008, 06:33 AM
i think if your gonna diy then work with what your best at doing. i cannot for example make a wooden stand and i have tried multiple times. how ever with steel i got it first timne round