PDA

View Full Version : Breakout box

Roy G. Biv
09/06/2008, 01:22 PM
Is there a limit to the amount of switches that can be used on one switch input?

Right now I have one flood sensor on SW1. Can I hook up 3 more in parallel and still have it work properly?

rcgates
09/06/2008, 09:37 PM
With switches in parallel, all you would be able to do is tell that a switch is closed, but you could not tell which one.

Unless you want to have a single action if any one of the set of switches is closed. Since the switches are closed by "ground", there isn't anything really of a "load" issue on the circuit, so quantity shouldn't be a real issue.

Switches in series are used as a failsafe method, both switches have to be closed to complete the circuit.

sivert55
09/09/2008, 12:14 PM
So if I understand you correctly, you could put multiple float switches (up to four) on one breakout box, but the only condition that could be determined by the ac3 is:
A) all switches are in a closed state or
B) one or more switches are in the opposite state.
which could be used for a host of failsafes.

rcgates
09/09/2008, 03:11 PM
ah, now I see what you are asking.

If you have a breakout box on an AC3, two separate on/off switches can be monitored via the breakout.

If you buy a px1000 then 6 on/off switches can be monitored via the breakout.

Roy G. Biv
09/09/2008, 05:19 PM
:confused:

If this is at all confusing... I was asking the amount of switches on SW1 or SW2 .....

I have a perimeter around the sump and wanted 4 flood sensors connecter to SW1 (in parallel) so any one of the 4 sensors will trigger SW1.

Thanks for the replies.

kenargo
09/10/2008, 08:58 PM
Edit:

There is no limit to the number of anything that can be hooked to 1 switch input.You need to keep the wiring in mind when making the connections. In series everything should be wired NC (so a break in the connection can be sensed). You can wire in parallel and use a NO connection in a simular manner.

Hope this answers your question.