PDA

View Full Version : FOWLR - purple tang, naso and blue?

shiromeda
09/06/2008, 03:25 PM
hi everyone,

so it has been almost 2 months since my tank has been up and running, started with excellent clean live rock right from the start and all doing well. it is a 125 gallon tank with a 55 fuge/cryptic zone below the cabinet.

fish list:

1 royal gramma
1 red coris wrasse
1 emperor angel
1 naso tang
1 blue tang
1 anemone (as possible host for clowns)

a lot of clean up crew plus a cleaner shrimp.

so to finish the stocking of my tank, I am considering adding the following:

purple tang
scott's fairy wrasse
4 to 5 schooling green chromis
and a pair of clowns

what do you all think? would the purple tang be an issue with the fish already in the tank from your experience? I would love to get your input. I will post pictures of my tank once it is all fully stocked.

thank you

wickedfish
09/06/2008, 04:46 PM
Nope. It would be an excellent addition. I just added a bluejaw trig male with mine. Makes the tank look real nice.

agreeive?fish
09/06/2008, 05:32 PM
wich blue tang are you talking about... the pacific blue aka hippo or the atlantic blue tang.. the atlantic blue may be an issue depending on how long he has been in the tank, his size/coloration and his particular temerment the atlantic blue tang is simmilar in body shape and then in adult hood it is similar in coloring and body shape to the purple..

phk36
09/06/2008, 08:23 PM
i agree

shiromeda
09/07/2008, 01:05 AM
i have the regular blue tang in my tank, it is NOT the type that has a yellow belly.

I guess I should add a few more information.

the blue tang is about 4 to 5 inchs
the naso tang is about 6 to 7 inchs
the emperor angel is a juvenile about 4 inchs

so will the purple tang still be a problem if i get him in the tank last?

thanks for the help.

JamesJR
09/07/2008, 12:08 PM
I think I would like to make some suggestions. Hopefully this will be helpful.

I think you may run into trouble with the red coris wrasse in the long run. Red coris wrasses, (which I am assuming you either have a coris gaimard or an coris formossa) which get 40cm and 60cm, respectively. These fish get to be quite large, active and are highly predatory as they get larger. You may have some problems with it eating clean up crews and smaller fish like the chromis or the gramma. Also, its constant activity in a tank of this size could keep the fish hiding.

Emporer angels get large too, about 38 cm. I think they can be kept just fine in a 125 as long as the tank isn't too crowded. Nasos get almost 50 cm which is very large for a 125. I would probably swap out the Naso for the Purple. The blue should not give you any problems at this size but they can get pretty nasty as they get larger.

Now to your additions:

I think adding another tang would really be pushing it. I think they would get along alright, but I think your tank would be too small for 3 tangs.

A pair of Clown would be great. Lots of great choices for your situation. I personally would suggest, Clarkii's, Ocellaris or Perculas.

The scotts fairy wrasse can sometimes be a pretty aggressive wrasse but unless you want to keep other fairy wrasses I don't see it being a problem.

5 chromis would be fine. They are dither fish and I have rarely had any problems mixing them with anything.

Bottom line: I would consider the problems the red corris wrasse and would probably swap out the Naso.

Your tanks is only 2 months old. I would probably let things settle down for a while before you start adding more fish.

Good luck!

smurph1415
09/07/2008, 05:15 PM
i would say no, need a little more room if u want all three together