PDA

View Full Version : All Glass Mega Flow a Detritus Trap?

bheron
09/06/2008, 08:48 PM
Not sure if anyone's come upon this yet...

Im in the midst of cleaning out alot of the detritus traps in my tank. I have a 220g All-Glass aquarium with this "Mega Flow" design for the overflows. Water comes in 3 different levels and flows up to the overflow (see pic).

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/bheron/megaflow.jpg

Im wondering if the bottom inlet truly is open as its shown, right where the RED ARROW is. If so, most likely detritus could be settled in the bottom. I know this may sound picky, but I have two of these, and they're pretty big. If the bottom is open/hollow, and its full of waste, its a TON of waste I dont need.

Anyone have one of these?
Any thoughts?

Roy G. Biv
09/06/2008, 08:59 PM
Thats weird, I have that design and dont have that issue. Maybe the tank turnover is too low?

bheron
09/07/2008, 07:10 AM
no, i have many, many issues with detritus and extra nutrients :-)

I was just looking at the design the other day and realized, the area which is over 1" deep I think, and several inches wide - "what if that's all detritus"?!

I decided to drain the display tank anyway, so I will figure this out once i drain the water level - probably run a tube down it and see what i can siphon out!

bheron
09/17/2008, 01:26 PM
Just an update here: I was able to look at some new tanks at the LFS and found that, for sure, there is a gap of open space at the bottom of the overflow. Its a pretty thin space, but if its filled with detritus I can only imaging the damage it can do to a tank.

The good news is that, sometime next week I'll be draining my display and will siphon out anything thats inside my gap. Its either empty (b/c of water flow) or completely full with crap!

I'll post back next week with a verdict.

chimmike
09/17/2008, 01:31 PM
I know on my oceanic that there's a plastic panel that slides up and out where the "inlets" are, so that it can be cleaned in that little area, does your aga have that too?

bheron
09/17/2008, 01:39 PM
Hmmm, I dont think so? I'll have to check. My tank is 30" deep so its going to be hard to get down there.

If this is a detritus trap, Im probably going to seal it up completely and not use the overflow at all. Will go back to my HOB overflow probably.

Anemonebuff
09/17/2008, 02:13 PM
Just run some thin plastic tubing down into the "Detrius Trap" and hook it up to a powerhead. It will blow it all out. I do it using my returns.

pex
09/17/2008, 02:35 PM
If it indeed turns out to be a detris trap just put some pond foam in the space and your problem will be solved. Much better than not using the overflows and going to a HOB.

rickh
09/17/2008, 03:00 PM
I have never had a problem with the AGA Mega flow.

limitdown
09/18/2008, 04:06 AM
My tank was built was a similar overflow and I have no problems with junk getting stuck in that spot

onano
09/18/2008, 05:46 AM
No probs w/ my AGA overflow. I do clean out overflow a few times a year just as regular maintenance but have never come up with enough stuff to concern me.

rps042657
09/18/2008, 06:46 AM
Not sure what brand overflow is in my 75 gallon, but it looks like the one in you drawing. On my overflow, the whole front piece with the inlets slides up and out for cleaning. Reminds me, I need to do that this weekend.

defib
09/18/2008, 01:17 PM
When I took down our 90 with a megaflow it was FULL of crap in that little space... But then I had a colony of feather dusters growing all through the void that the water flows in.

anomie
09/18/2008, 03:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13377992#post13377992 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by defib
When I took down our 90 with a megaflow it was FULL of crap in that little space... But then I had a colony of feather dusters growing all through the void that the water flows in.

I just took down a 110 and ^^^ that was my experience as well. Tons and tons of detritus and many feather dusters as well as a cup or so of sand. I was a bit surprised at how much was actually in there. It wasn't until I laid it on it's back and aimed a hard stream of water down there that I saw all that junk come out.

crvz
09/18/2008, 05:57 PM
I havent had a problem with mine, but I have started dropping a powerhead in my overflow every now and again to blow stuff out. Works great.