PDA

View Full Version : Crocea Clam

andrewprime1
09/07/2008, 10:15 AM
Well I am [violation]ed. I bought a gorgeous little clam yesterday for 30.00 dollars. It was so cool, and it was moving around in the rock crevice that I set it in. Then this morning I awoke to find it trashed. I bet it was that D**N emerald crab, when I find him I am ripping him out of the water, then depending on how mad I am, ill decide if I want to banish him to the sump, or just flush the little [violation]

So, on the clam. It is deeply retreated in to its shell, the intake siphon looks open and gaping compared to its size yesterday, no mantel showing. I don't know if there is any hope, but maybe there is. Help Please!!!

10 Gallon
2.5 sump
Na- >5
Ni- 0
Ammonia- 0
Ca- 400-450
Po4- 0
click on the house for more

I am going to go try and get some pictures. I have no idea what to do?

EDIT:..
oh, 175W metal halides

kolosy
09/07/2008, 10:32 AM
Na i'm assuming refers to NH3 (nitrate) and not Na (Sodium). if so >5 is probably not great for clams, or anything other than fish...

rogergolf66
09/07/2008, 10:33 AM
There is no hope if a clam is pulling back into the shell like that :(

pictures to be sure but also it wasn't the emerald crab. If the clam was sick when you got it or you didn't acclimate it right that could cause the problems.

Roger

rogergolf66
09/07/2008, 10:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13306687#post13306687 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kolosy
if so >5 is probably not great for clams, or anything other than fish...

that is not true although clams do feed on nitrates but that is not very important in this problem. They feed more on light then anything else, but it is not light or nitrates as he said he just got it.

Toddrtrex
09/07/2008, 10:37 AM
How little was the clam? I have found that the small ones don't do as well.

Personally I have never had any issues with my Croceas and emeralds.

andrewprime1
09/07/2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah I meant NH3, but actually Nitrate lower then five parts per million is pretty low.

I think it was the emerald personally. I don't want to sound stuck up or anything, but I am not really new to the hobby. I have seen clams added straight to the tank and done really well. I acclimated mine for 1 hour and it was fully open within 30 minutes. It was healthy enough at the store, and even though this isn't a very good indicator, it retracted with a shade test.

I could see its foot moving to attach to the rock yesterday a few hours before the light went out, and when the lights came on today, it looked like it had been dragged across the rock, and was four or five inched way from the spot where it was when the lights went out.
pics coming

andrewprime1
09/07/2008, 11:20 AM
Ok, here are some pictures. They aren't great, but I think you can see it well enough. This morning it was all the way behind the frogspawn, and the frogspawn might have been touching it, that could be the problem. Its a small little guy, about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. I am really sad about this. Do you think it my fault?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/Hstreetprankers/100_1734.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/Hstreetprankers/100_1733.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b263/Hstreetprankers/100_1731.jpg

andrewprime1
09/07/2008, 11:45 AM
well, ill take that as a its done for, I feel really bad just pulling it out of the tank.

rrcg50
09/07/2008, 11:52 AM
does it still open and close on its own. if it does i would leave it and se what happens

waxy
09/07/2008, 12:51 PM
Its not your emerald crab. It would eventually eat it, just like a cleaner shrimp or any other invert would. Once there is something dead in your tank they will all scurry there for a full on feast.

Frogspawns sting, Rose Anemones dont, I once had a Tube anemone that stung my crocea. I was really bummbed out especially when I didnt know how it died. Turns out Tube Anemones are venomous and even a clown would not host it.

Im sorry to say it but, with the lips of the clam all wilted like that, there is really no hope. Wait a few more hours, maybe half a day to see if there is an improvement. If not you might want to remove that because your Nitrates spike.

I read this someone... a while back on RC regarding resurrection of clams.

Either a freshwater dip, iodine dip or some type of special dip made to have them QT in. Try a search on here or google I am sure you will find some answers.

Goodluck.

Texastravis
09/07/2008, 12:57 PM
No, that clam is dead....sry. Judging by your profile it is a 10 gallon tank? If so get that dang thing out of your water now and dont take chances. A dead clam STINKS badd and will completely destroy your water!. When my 8in clam gave way in the QT 30 gallon all that water had to be thrown out quick, it stunk very bad

Saltz Creep
09/07/2008, 01:01 PM
Ni = nickle
NO2 = nitrite

sassafrass
09/07/2008, 03:05 PM
Could it's foot been injured by an inexperienced LFS employee when being removed from the store tank? I have seen this happen more than once.

paulallen
09/07/2008, 04:29 PM
Just for the record >5 is greater than 5 ppm. <5 would be less than 5 ppm.

andrewprime1
09/07/2008, 09:08 PM
Well I don't think it was its foot was injured because it was removed improperly, i think it just moved in the night and fell over too close to my frogspawn, where it was stung to death. Everything in my tank test out fine, and I did my Sunday water change today as well.

That was a bummer, all i can say.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13308488#post13308488 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by paulallen
Just for the record >5 is greater than 5 ppm. <5 would be less than 5 ppm.
Really? I am pretty sure that >5 means less than 5. Like 7>5, 3<5

rbnice1
09/07/2008, 09:20 PM
> = greater then
< = less then

Reefman79
09/08/2008, 07:55 AM
Soon to be dead it looks like to me.

rogergolf66
09/08/2008, 01:20 PM
it have been 24 hours im sure it already is rip :(