PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton 14k vs XM 20k

mrongi1
09/07/2008, 04:31 PM
I was wondering if anyone who has owned both bulbs could give some input as to which bulb they liked better. After looking at this:http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm the hamiltons look just as blue as the xm, but the hamiltons have a better par. Im just wondering if hamiltons are really that blue or its just the pic. Both are similarly priced so it is more the look im going for. Im not as interested in the par value. Thanks in advance.

mfinn
09/07/2008, 05:29 PM
I happen to like the Hamilton 14K myself.
Not as blue as the XM.
No other reason just liked the color.

OneReef
09/07/2008, 06:22 PM
That is funny that I came on RC and saw this post, as I just changed out my Hamilton 14Ks for XM 20K's today.

I have been running Hamilton 14K's 250W DE on IceCap electronic ballasts for about 8 months. I recently decided to try another bulb. Heard good things about the XM 20K's so I decided to try them. Just installed them this morning and have been looking at them various times today.

Here is my quick assessment. (Take this with a grain of salt, as this is the first day I have run the XM's and they will take a week or so to burn in their true color):

The Hamilton 14Ks are really nice bulbs. I have liked them and they give a nice crisp color, whitish with a dash of blue. I did not feel the need to run any actinics with them.

The XM's are more blue, and a little dimmer. They look like my Hamiltons did when I turned on my 03 Actinics with them. It is going to take some getting used to. I feel that the colors of my tank were truer with the Hamiltons. The XM's aren't washing my tank out in Blue, it just looks like I have on actinics, and it is more than I am used to. I 'll have to see what the color is in a couple of weeks. After seeing them both in the past two days, I feel that I probably could have gotten the Hamiltons again and been happy with them. I hope I don't get slower growth with the 20K's. If so, I will be going back to the Hamiltons again next time. I also would not mind checking out IceCaps new 14K.

Garage1217
09/07/2008, 06:47 PM
To me, the xm's are purple looking. blue would be my phoenix bulbs... I love the look of xm's but they are dim / color is amazing.

mrongi1
09/08/2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks fellas. Yeah I think I will be happy with either bulb. If im not, I can always change them in a year. I think I'll try the XM's first, and if it is too blue i'll try the hamiltons in a year.

Toddrtrex
09/08/2008, 09:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13309211#post13309211 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by OneReef
That is funny that I came on RC and saw this post, as I just changed out my Hamilton 14Ks for XM 20K's today.

I have been running Hamilton 14K's 250W DE on IceCap electronic ballasts for about 8 months. I recently decided to try another bulb. Heard good things about the XM 20K's so I decided to try them. Just installed them this morning and have been looking at them various times today.

Here is my quick assessment. (Take this with a grain of salt, as this is the first day I have run the XM's and they will take a week or so to burn in their true color):

The Hamilton 14Ks are really nice bulbs. I have liked them and they give a nice crisp color, whitish with a dash of blue. I did not feel the need to run any actinics with them.

The XM's are more blue, and a little dimmer. They look like my Hamiltons did when I turned on my 03 Actinics with them. It is going to take some getting used to. I feel that the colors of my tank were truer with the Hamiltons. The XM's aren't washing my tank out in Blue, it just looks like I have on actinics, and it is more than I am used to. I 'll have to see what the color is in a couple of weeks. After seeing them both in the past two days, I feel that I probably could have gotten the Hamiltons again and been happy with them. I hope I don't get slower growth with the 20K's. If so, I will be going back to the Hamiltons again next time. I also would not mind checking out IceCaps new 14K.

The XMs will look a lot better in a week or two. I am running two of them ( 250watt SE ) and thought they were a bit dull and too blue at first. Now, I love them.

frezel
09/08/2008, 12:08 PM
i just ordered 20k xm's today. I know my tank will look better then your tank now mrongi, after all you run 10k's and your tank probally looks yellow and empty. :)