PDA

View Full Version : Adobe lightroom?

IPT
09/07/2008, 07:07 PM
Can you fine folk tell me a little more about Adobe Lightroom? Since I just took 40GB of pics last weekend alone I think I may be in need.....

Seriously, I have a good filling system but a lot is based on memeory and that is not gonna work. I like DPP for my intial sorting but after that I got nada (just us PS CS3 for images I use).

I just started using Bridge and I like the Keyword, search, and a few other factors. Seems like Lightroom has all that + more. However, I have Bridge and DPP. LR will cost $300.

Why is superior? How do you use it? What do like and dislike about it?

BlueCorn
09/07/2008, 08:04 PM
I always hated bridge, can't tell you exactly why, I just did.

LR is like Bridge with Adobe Camera RAW built in. If you're processing in DPP first, you get very little benefit.

On many of my images I do all of my process in LR, from capture to print. That means that I never have anything more than the original CR2 on my disk. All editing is non-destructive.

Example: Dust removal. Shoot 200 images, remove the dust on one and apply the change to the other 199 images.

There's a trial version available, download it and give it a spin.

Maxxumless
09/07/2008, 09:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13309518#post13309518 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IPT
Can you fine folk tell me a little more about Adobe Lightroom? Since I just took 40GB of pics last weekend alone I think I may be in need.....

Seriously, I have a good filling system but a lot is based on memeory and that is not gonna work. I like DPP for my intial sorting but after that I got nada (just us PS CS3 for images I use).

I just started using Bridge and I like the Keyword, search, and a few other factors. Seems like Lightroom has all that + more. However, I have Bridge and DPP. LR will cost $300.

Why is superior? How do you use it? What do like and dislike about it?

I tried several programs and settled on Apple's Aperture 2, but I did like LR - they both are very similar.

LR is Camera Raw on steroids. After using it (and mastering it) there is almost no need for Photoshop for just 'tweeking' photos. I have about 1.8TB of photos so I REALLY need something like LR to organize my photos. That's were metadata comes in real handy. On Apple's Aperture I can sort by camera, lens, day, event, client, stars, location (by GPS too) and a host of other tags. I can make changes to one photo and 'past' them onto other photos in different libraries... In short, for someone that takes a few gigs of photos a week there simply is no other way to go.

IPT
09/08/2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I am happy with my workflow using DPP but it does lack the archiving ability. That is what I am lacking. I am tempted to just do a first pass in DPP and weed out the nasties. Then use Bridge to fine tune the Ratings. Burn to DVD, delete all but the cream of the crop, apply metadata and keywords, and archive. Then I could search for images - say "eagles" and it would find all my eagle images (even if they were in different folders). Is that correct? Then it could esily be sent to PS CS3 for details and sizing, printing.

Max - have you used Bridge? Does LR meet your needs better?

Beerguy - seems like I am probably more intrested in a program with good archiving and search functions. I like the DPP and PS CS solution I have now. Works for me, except the archiving. However, I am not oppossed to using LR and PS if it'll get the job done better. I just have bridge already.

I was just going thru some images and found a lot that I was like "wow, that's a nice shot". I store by shoot location and date. However, I would like a way to just pull up all my "keepers" of say "eagles", or "moose" no matter what folder they are in. Does that make sense?

flyyyguy
09/08/2008, 12:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13309902#post13309902 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy

Example: Dust removal. Shoot 200 images, remove the dust on one and apply the change to the other 199 images.

forgive me...but if you dont mind......

How do you do this?? not necessarily even for dust removal...but like noise reduction. I pretty much crank both bars to 100 on every pic......I would LOVE to just do that automatically to every photo loaded.

Thanks if you care to share :)

IPT
09/08/2008, 01:49 AM
Just guessing, but there is probably some sort of Batch processing for it. You can map dust in DPP and it'll do the same on any selected images (dust, not sure about noise).

I'm sure Beerguy will respond.

BlueCorn
09/08/2008, 08:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13311316#post13311316 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IPT
Thanks. Yeah, I am happy with my workflow using DPP but it does lack the archiving ability. That is what I am lacking. I am tempted to just do a first pass in DPP and weed out the nasties. Then use Bridge to fine tune the Ratings. Burn to DVD, delete all but the cream of the crop, apply metadata and keywords, and archive. Then I could search for images - say "eagles" and it would find all my eagle images (even if they were in different folders). Is that correct? Then it could esily be sent to PS CS3 for details and sizing, printing.

Max - have you used Bridge? Does LR meet your needs better?

Beerguy - seems like I am probably more intrested in a program with good archiving and search functions. I like the DPP and PS CS solution I have now. Works for me, except the archiving. However, I am not oppossed to using LR and PS if it'll get the job done better. I just have bridge already.

I was just going thru some images and found a lot that I was like "wow, that's a nice shot". I store by shoot location and date. However, I would like a way to just pull up all my "keepers" of say "eagles", or "moose" no matter what folder they are in. Does that make sense?

You can search on any criteria on the image. You could do it by keyword, ISO, lens, focal length aperture, start rating....darn near anything. In addition to searching you can apply those criteria to "Smart Collections." You could setup a collection for "eagles with a 3 star or higher rating." It creates logical grouping automatically. Add a new image, rate it, keyword it and it becomes part of the collection. There's even a preset for export and burn to DVD. Click the collection, select all, Export to disk. ;)

flyyyguy - first off you really shouldn't "crank both bars to 100 on every pic." That's too much correction during conversion. If you're trying to eliminate noise completely your images will look soft. You can "copy" any adjustment on any image and "paste" it onto any number of images. That's what I do with dust removal. It's similar to the mapping that DPP does but you can do the same thing with any adjustment, i.e. WB, contrast, saturation, cropping, noise reduction, sharpening, curves.....

That said there are better ways to do what you're asking about. Open an image in the develop module and give it your "normal adjustments." Go to the preset panel on the left side and save it as a user preset. The next time you import a series of images you can select that as a develop preset for that batch of images in the import dialog. Those settings get used as your "starting point" for that batch.