PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda skimmers?

jimidalock
09/07/2008, 07:30 PM
Doing a new 200gal tank build and I've been shopping around for a new skimmer. Thinking about Bermuda. Any users out there would like to give some input?

moondoggy4
09/07/2008, 10:30 PM
Sorry not a user but I have heard nothing but good things about them Good luck

bergzy
09/07/2008, 11:26 PM
i run a 5c on my 180g with a 250g net adjusted volume.

it is powered by a panworld 150 ps which is eqiv to a iwaki 55rlt.

this pump is way overpowered for the skimmer and the skimmer does an amzing job at skimming my sps dom with some lps.

i have the non-gate valve version and was a little tricky to get it tuned in just right. now, i never touch it and it skims about a gallon of repulsive skimmate a week. i also run zeo and vodka so a good skimmer is essential.

the only other skimmer i would even consider (besides a becket) is an atb cone skimmer. a little pricey for the med model but reports from the guys i know that use it...say it is an awesome skimmer.

i like the bermuda because you get to choose the pump you want to use.

a pressure rated pump seems to 'turbo charge' it!!!

the injector gets 'dirty' (for a lack of a better word) every so often. cleaning it is beyond easy...you just put your finger on top of the venturi air intake until the air bubble disappear and hold for about ten seconds. any debris caught in there will get slurped up. i do put a strainer on the pump intake to prevent big chunks from getting in.

the first thing i did was take off the 'silencer' it comes with. the little silencer holes can eventually get clogged with salt creep. instead, i use a 10' length of 1/2" tubing as a silencer. no restriction of airflow.

hth's a little.

excellent skimmer for the value. a skimmer to definitely & seriously consider.

jimidalock
09/08/2008, 06:45 AM
Thanks Ben and Moon, the guy at my LFS recommended it also. I really appreciate the advice.