PDA

View Full Version : SPS Coral white spots/Polyp extension

Holyreefer
09/07/2008, 09:17 PM
I have a birdsnet and an Acro which both have polyp extension the birdsnest has full extension and the acro is just starting...

I'm wondering when i go to look at each one of the corals, why are the polyps extended but there are white like spots on the corals "Underneath" like where the lighting doesn't hit the coral?

AD87
09/07/2008, 09:52 PM
This is normal but before we can stamp approved can you get a picture?

Holyreefer
09/07/2008, 09:58 PM
not the best at all by taking photos
but here we go
http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o398/holyreefer/DSC_0065.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o398/holyreefer/DSC_0070.jpg

Holyreefer
09/07/2008, 09:59 PM
the white parts are what i'm speaking of...Also why don't i have color like some of the photos i see here on RC?

My acro for sure hasn't colored up at all

Mikeeee
09/07/2008, 10:28 PM
It depends on your parameters. Most important thing is to have stable parameters to have great success and also lighting and flow. If you let us know more about your parameters and lighting and other equipment im sure we can help you bring out the true colors.

Holyreefer
09/08/2008, 07:53 AM
Ok i tested my water last night
Nitrates-2.5
Nitritres-0
PH 8.3-8.5
Ca-480
I currently have an wavysea on my return from a mag 24
An 8 way oceans motion on a baracuda pump
My lighting consist of 3 mh250 10k ushio bulbs,
2 super actnics 2 vho
my mh bulbs are on for 4 hours and the vho stay on for 12hrs

Holyreefer
09/08/2008, 05:35 PM
I also have kalk as my ATO!
Would it effect my corals if my closed loop system pushes bubbles due to air in the plumbing?

jlynn427
09/08/2008, 06:37 PM
it could be that hang on filter

Holyreefer
09/08/2008, 08:05 PM
thats a powerhead

Holyreefer
09/08/2008, 08:47 PM
here are more photo's i'm trying to learn how to snap with this Nikon D40
http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o398/holyreefer/DSC_0142.jpg

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o398/holyreefer/DSC_0141.jpg

tHE White parts underneath the coral is what i'm reffering too

kirstenk
09/08/2008, 11:48 PM
It looks to me like the coral is missing tissue in those spots. Not a good thing. Did you recently mount it? If so this damage could have been caused then. If the coral is relatively new I would let it adjust some more.

Holyreefer
09/12/2008, 08:05 AM
The coral does seem to have missing tissue but where is it coming from?
Also what can i do to keep this from happening

speeddemonlsr,
What do you mean underneath areas being normal?
When i see other members tank photos i haven't noticed on their corals the white areas

BUMP

Holyreefer
09/13/2008, 10:11 AM
BUMP
Where should i be having my outlets point too on the corals?

Holyreefer
09/13/2008, 10:12 AM
BUMP
Where should i be having my outlets point too for the best water movement?

kirstenk
09/13/2008, 11:25 AM
You don't want any outlet pointed directly at a coral unless said coral is pretty far away. Too close and the water can blow tissue right off of it.....like in a day.

Have the areas gotten bigger? If so check for predators. AEFW's

I would also bump your MH lighting........15 minutes a day and increase to a min. of 6 hours.

Read Threads on this forum pertaining to your delimma.

HTH

AD87
09/13/2008, 04:18 PM
What I mean is I have a colony of pink birdsnest its the size of softball and the most inter parts of the coral and unerside where no light gets to are ususally white. If I had a good camera I would snap you a couple of pics.

Can someone help him with a pic. Your coral doesnt look normal with the dead tissue. Has it been spreading?

sanababit
09/13/2008, 08:31 PM
That looks like tissue damage from beign mounted, when i use epoxy or crazy glue gel, and it touches or gets on the coral, that particular part dies off, give it time and it will come back, good luck

sana

CHASDB
09/14/2008, 12:53 AM
Are you testing for Phosphates? Measurable Phosphates will effect color/ growth. You use Kalk water for top off, dose your evaporation vary from day to day? If the amount of kalk being added changes too much, unstable Alk may be the problem.

Holyreefer
09/15/2008, 02:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13345933#post13345933 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kirstenk
You don't want any outlet pointed directly at a coral unless said coral is pretty far away. Too close and the water can blow tissue right off of it.....like in a day.

Have the areas gotten bigger? If so check for predators. AEFW's

I would also bump your MH lighting........15 minutes a day and increase to a min. of 6 hours.

Read Threads on this forum pertaining to your delimma.

HTH

kirstenk,
I believe this is what has happened... the coral when i first got it was all the way in the direct flow of my return...then i got the wavysea and moved it down lower from the lights and farther away from the return and it is starting to replace its tissue...slowly

speeddemonlsr,
Thanks for your help i do believe i understand what your talking about... it would be nice if someone could provide a photo just to ensure me...

sanababit,
I have had the worst luck with coral posting as you can see... where do people get those coral pegs from, or can i make them?

CHASDB,
NO i'm not currently testing for phosphate or magnesium i am going to get a new magnesium test kit sometime this week and the colors of my coral aren't bad its just this Acro frag i got from someone a while ago...i'm just happy its still alive!

Oh and i don't think its parasite worms as the white spots aren't getting bigger but smaller...also the top of the acro has color the bottom portion is whats lacking!

i will post a photo tonight