PDA

View Full Version : Towel ended up in pre-mixing saltwater...

LisaJill
09/08/2008, 01:40 AM
So, never mind the circumstances (I'd never live them down), but a beach towel that I have relegated as my "clean up the saltwater spills towel" ended up in my new brute full of new saltwater that I was pre-mixing.

This towel was washed about 3 weeks ago with Tide, and has since been sitting on the floor in front of the tank catching spills from the water change system before I got the brute. (messy!)

D'ya think the water is safe to use, or should I dump it, and make a new batch?

Thanks all =)

rkelman
09/08/2008, 04:31 AM
I'd use it...

VacavilleFC3S
09/08/2008, 05:17 AM
i wouldn't

Tswifty
09/08/2008, 06:50 AM
If your worried, run some carbon or poly filter on the water for a day before you use it.

How long did it sit in the water? Are we talking like 30 seconds or a few hours?

If your that concerned I'd just pitch it, and make some new water.

crvz
09/08/2008, 09:42 AM
for me 30ish gallons of water isnt that big a deal, but I am lazy enough to seriously consider using the water. How bad would you worry if you dropped the towel right in the tank?

an411
09/08/2008, 09:50 AM
I am with the better safe then sorry. I would personally dump and remake the water its gonna cost you a few bucks and a day of running the rodi. then you have nothing to worry about.

adunne
09/08/2008, 10:01 AM
id most likly use it too.. I had a friend from out of town staying with me and thought my Brute can was the garbage and was throwing his empty beer cans in it.. the next morning i opened it to do the WC and there were a few cans floating ontop. I used it.. no ill effects... not reccommended though..

Sk8r
09/08/2008, 11:19 AM
Lol. Beer is safer than Tide.

LisaJill
09/08/2008, 11:25 AM
It was in there about 5 seconds. The incident had to do with a cat who also got a bit wet, hence the early warning. *smirks*

Cats, aquariums - endless entertainment.

I am ordering an RO/DI unit today, but this water was carried in jugs from a Glacier system (35c/gallon), not a huge deal on the cost, but a bigger deal on my back. The tank can wait a week before another water change, but I was hoping to do the change today (it's been about 9 days).

And yea, Tide can be brutal. I thought about tossing some carbon in there as mentioned above but hadn't considered the polyfilter. All in all, I may just get some fresh water rather than risk it.

Thanks all!

r0bin
09/08/2008, 12:08 PM
5 second rule!!!!! lol j.k

seriously, only 5 seconds............I would use it

crvz
09/08/2008, 01:06 PM
9 days, you should be alright. ;) I go about every three weeks.

LisaJill
09/08/2008, 01:56 PM
It's a newer reef so I'm still battling some of the early algae cycle, hence sooner water changes. I'll get in my order today, dump this water (better safe than sorry, if I have a tank crash now I think the ups and downs will just about kill me ;) ) and use the new RO/DI unit the second it arrives. I hope there isn't much of a break-in period!

Rae C.
09/08/2008, 02:01 PM
How's the cat? Was it in the RODI water as well? LOL

LisaJill
09/08/2008, 02:38 PM
The cat was fine; he bounced out of that thing so fast you wouldn't believe it. Spent the next hour grooming - he won't pull THAT stunt again, in any case.

And no, the RO/DI for top off was still in a closed jug, so inaccessible. I just forgot to buy a lid when I bough this brute - was my own darn fault, but it did lead to a bit of a funny moment; and nothing was harmed.

Live and live, eh? Live and learn.

EllieSuz
09/08/2008, 02:53 PM
Weigh the cost of your rock and livestock against the cost of some new saltwater. If you take the chance and it doesn't go right, you'll never forgive yourself.