PDA

View Full Version : help....what're my fish doing??!

minimtnlions
09/08/2008, 01:57 PM
I have two percula clowns....
a male and a female.

not too long ago my female started behaving very aggressively toward the male...so much that he jumped out of the tank... (i'm not sure if he meant to jump out or just dodged in a bad direction)

does this have anything to do with mating or is there something wrong?

Amazon4
09/08/2008, 02:13 PM
It's probably the female trying to assert herself. Ours were together for a year, then started fighting. Then stopped.

minimtnlions
09/08/2008, 02:19 PM
i'm just worried that she being a little too assertive....he jumped out once and i had to cover the tank for fear that he would do it again

Bogart80
09/08/2008, 05:27 PM
I am sure you know, all clowns are born the same sex, my question would be are you sure one is a male/female?

If they are, this is typ. Behavior once the female is ready to reproduce. They should settle down soon (I hope they do before your little one takes another sky dive) If they do settle down, you may notice soon, depending on your conditions little eggs.

If they do not settle down within a month you need to separate them.

(IMO)

minimtnlions
09/08/2008, 05:31 PM
I've been doing plenty of research on it, and i'm almost 100% certain one is a female...i hope i'm right... hehe. thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated.

kernyboy
09/08/2008, 10:03 PM
mine just started that crap too. I have a a cover on the tank. so we'll see. Dunno about mating though. Are clowns easy to mate??

minimtnlions
09/09/2008, 11:54 AM
supposedly they're one of the easiest fish to mate in captivity...i have my tank covered too...after that i didn't want to risk it.

Reefer07
09/09/2008, 12:59 PM
My female picked on my male clown for quite a while....nipped fins, etc. etc. but now they are a perfect mated pair. I am sure it takes some time and there will be a lot of aggression toward each other for a period.

cherubfish pair
09/09/2008, 08:16 PM
Even couples need their own space. A ten gallon might be too small.

Any fish could jump if given a good enough reason. Just a light coming on in a dark room has caused a lot of fish to jump. When panicked, ending up on a floor is the last of their worries.

minimtnlions
09/09/2008, 08:48 PM
yeah...i'm working on a 30 gal setup right now so hopefully they won't be there for too long

minimtnlions
09/16/2008, 02:59 PM
so my female is pregnant....WOOT. but i'm trying to sell my tank. i guess i should wait for a bit, huh? Any suggestions on how to keep the babies from being sucked up into the filters or anything? should i put them in a different tank?

I got a suggestion saying i could put them in a 2gallon with an intergravel filter but i have no clue how to take care of them...
that is...if this even turns out to work. i don't know if my female thinks my male is worthy...either that or she's just mean when she's prego.

ideas? plz?