PDA

View Full Version : Sailfert Alkalinity test kit help

findingnemo2
09/08/2008, 07:37 PM
OK, I finally got my Sailfert Alkalanity test kit into day and when I finished dropping in the solution a drop at a time, until it turned pink, I had 0,2 in the syringe, but a lot of air was in and the black dropper end was on the 0,4. So can anyone tell me how much my alkalanity is? If I am reading these instructions right, it seems like it is 5.60 or 5.49, surely not. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help!

findingnemo2
09/08/2008, 08:53 PM
Can anyone help me with this? I believe the the air in the syringe is normal as it is mentioned in the sheet that came with the test, so, I guess my reading would be the 0,4 reading when the solution turned pink. Does this mean my Alk. is 5,49? Thanks!

hedgedrew
09/08/2008, 09:39 PM
wasthe black rubber on .2 or .4? forget about the air at backof piston

hedgedrew
09/08/2008, 09:44 PM
read front part of black rubber you pulled it all way to 1m so that front piston sain syringe full?

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/09/2008, 05:37 AM
The air is supposed to be there. Fill the syringe until the black piston lines up on zero. Any part of it, it doesn't matter. I use the end toward the tip. Then dispense the titrant fluid and read the the value from the same point on the piston that you lined up on zero. The air does not impact the reading, and you should not try to fill it completely with fluid. :)

findingnemo2
09/09/2008, 09:40 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13317389#post13317389 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hedgedrew
wasthe black rubber on .2 or .4? forget about the air at backof piston
Yes, the back rubber thing was on .4 so how do I know what my alk. is? Am I correct in reading it as my alk being 5.49 then?
What are ideal numbers for alk.?

findingnemo2
09/09/2008, 09:47 AM
Also, I did not ask this before, but, what is the check solution for that came with the kit? I don't see anything on the sheet pertaining to it. The bottle says"Alkalinity check solution 7.4 dKH plus sign/ 0.3? Thanks for the help!

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/09/2008, 10:19 AM

I recommend 7-11 dKH (2.5-4 meq/L). This has more:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

and

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

I don't see anything on the sheet pertaining to it. The bottle says"Alkalinity check solution 7.4 dKH plus sign/ 0.3? Thanks for the help!

That would be a standard that you can use the test kit and and see if you get roughly the right answer for it (7.4 dKH). :)

Yes, the back rubber thing was on .4 so how do I know what my alk. is? Am I correct in reading it as my alk being 5.49 then?

I do not have the Salifert conversion table at hand, but that is probably about right if you are using units of dKH. Just be sure that you are reading it correctly that if you had dispensed nearly the whole syringe, you'd get a large value (close 14 dKH (or 5 meq/L) and not a low value (close to 0 on either scale).

findingnemo2
09/09/2008, 10:30 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13319663#post13319663 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley

I recommend 7-11 dKH (2.5-4 meq/L). This has more:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.htm

and

The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 2: What Chemicals Must be Supplemented
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

I don't see anything on the sheet pertaining to it. The bottle says"Alkalinity check solution 7.4 dKH plus sign/ 0.3? Thanks for the help!

That would be a standard that you can use the test kit and and see if you get roughly the right answer for it (7.4 dKH). :)

I do not have the Salifert conversion table at hand, but that is probably about right if you are using units of dKH. Just be sure that you are reading it correctly that if you had dispensed nearly the whole syringe, you'd get a large value (close 14 dKH (or 5 meq/L) and not a low value (close to 0 on either scale).
So, I don't need to do anything to raise or lower alk. correct?
See, I had quite a bit left in syringe as it was setting on the 0,4 when it turned pink.
Also about the check solution, I just use it to see if I can get it to what? I don't understand? I know I am making this harder than it needs to be but I have never used a alk. test before. Thanks for any and all help.

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/09/2008, 10:32 AM
If you have 5 dKH, then you are too low and need to raise it. Reef tanks typically need frequent or even daily alkalinity supplementation. :)

Also about the check solution, I just use it to see if I can get it to what? I don't understand?

It is to verify the kit is working. Test it like tank water and you should get a value of 7.4 dKH. if you do not, then either you are using the kit wrong, or it is otherwise faulty.

findingnemo2
09/09/2008, 10:46 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13319749#post13319749 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
If you have 5 dKH, then you are too low and need to raise it. Reef tanks typically need frequent or even daily alkalinity supplementation. :)

Also about the check solution, I just use it to see if I can get it to what? I don't understand?

It is to verify the kit is working. Test it like tank water and you should get a value of 7.4 dKH. if you do not, then either you are using the kit wrong, or it is otherwise faulty.
Randy, do I count the numbers from the 1,0 or from the end where it drops if that makes sence? I just did the check test and when I read it from the 1,0 it is correct.
Also, can I use Mrs. wages pickling lime to increase alk.? Drip it in my top off?

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/09/2008, 10:49 AM
yes, you read the actual number from the syringe (with no fluid dispensed = 1) and look that up in the Salifert table, at least with the older Salifert kit I have. :)

Limewater can be sued to supplement calcium and alkalinity yes. Baking soda is the way to go for alkalinity alone. :)

findingnemo2
09/09/2008, 11:00 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13319855#post13319855 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
yes, you read the actual number from the syringe (with no fluid dispensed = 1) and look that up in the Salifert table, at least with the older Salifert kit I have. :)

Limewater can be sued to supplement calcium and alkalinity yes. Baking soda is the way to go for alkalinity alone. :)

Ok, I just redid the test on my water and I used all but 2 and a half of liquid in the syringe. Would that be 7 and a half since I used all but the two and a half of liquid?
I think I am reading this wrong, you said read the actual number from the syringe ( with no fluid dispensed) so I go by what is left in the syringe, correct? So sorry for asking stupid questions and hope you don't give up on me:rolleyes:

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/09/2008, 03:18 PM
If the syringe reads 0.25, which means the you used about 3/4 of one full syringe during the test, then you take that 0.25 to the table and read off the alkalinity to be about 12 dKH. :)

findingnemo2
09/09/2008, 04:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13321305#post13321305 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
If the syringe reads 0.25, which means the you used about 3/4 of one full syringe during the test, then you take that 0.25 to the table and read off the alkalinity to be about 12 dKH. :)
Thank you so much, I totally understand now and know how to read this thing! Thanks again for your help!

findingnemo2
09/09/2008, 04:34 PM
I am wondering why my alk is high? Any ideas? Thanks!

HighlandReefer
09/09/2008, 04:51 PM
From what I understand, you have a 30 gal. salt water tank. Do you have corals or just fish? Are you adding anything to your tank between water changes? An alkalinity reading of 12 dkH is nothing to get a worked up about, but IMHO, you should allow it to drop down to the normal recommended levels. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/09/2008, 05:05 PM
What salt mix are you using? A few have about that alkalinity. :)

findingnemo2
09/09/2008, 06:28 PM
Randy, I use Instant Ocean. So nothing to worry about..... with my alk.....I hope, I hope. Thanks again Randy

findingnemo2
09/09/2008, 06:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13321891#post13321891 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by HighlandReefer
From what I understand, you have a 30 gal. salt water tank. Do you have corals or just fish? Are you adding anything to your tank between water changes? An alkalinity reading of 12 dkH is nothing to get a worked up about, but IMHO, you should allow it to drop down to the normal recommended levels. :)

HighlandReefer, see, that is the deal, I don't add anything to my water at all. I just got a RO/DI machine today and got it hooked up, but up until then I was buying Music Mountain water and it is high in calcium also, my reading was 500 for calcium.
I am hoping getting my RO/DI hooked, which I am making water as we speak :rollface: solves all the high numbers, because that is all I have added is the Music Mountain water. I appreciate all the help and advise you all have given me.
I have a 110 reef and a 30 gallon holding/quarentine tank. I have corals and fish. I am looking for a bigger system at the moment.

hedgedrew
09/09/2008, 09:21 PM
front tip on.4 youralk is 9.6 if on .25 its 12

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/10/2008, 05:59 AM
Randy, I use Instant Ocean. So nothing to worry about..... with my alk.....I hope, I hope.

IO runs pretty high in alkalinity. So even if you add nothing else, if you have low to no demand for calcium and alkalinity in the tank yet, that may be about what you'd get. :)

findingnemo2
09/10/2008, 08:14 AM
Thanks everyone. Right now I have probably a low demand for calcium and alkalinity. I have the following corals:
colt coral
favia
frog spawn
bubble tip anemone
bubble tip coral
xenia
gsp
mushrooms
toadstools several different kinds
plates
several sponges
chili
hammer
polyps and zoes-several
trumpet
feather dusters
cabbage coral
fox coral
Several things I have has a skeleton and they are not growing. I have just changed my bulbs out again and I am trying the phoenix 14 k mh 250watt 2 of these and 4 pc uvo 65 watt true actinics. I have not tried sps yet. I wanted to wait and let my tank age. My tank was 1 year old last month. I added a 30gallon sump a few months a go and it also has a refuge with lots of critters and several different kinds of alges. I started out with Instant Ocean- the regular, as that was all that was available here locally, then, ordered on line the Instant Ocean-reef. I don't like it as well, as it take 3 to 4 times as much to reach the correct salinity. Thanks everyone and I appreciate any ideas.

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/10/2008, 10:35 AM
I don't like it as well, as it take 3 to 4 times as much to reach the correct salinity

That doesn't make sense if you are talking about any solid salt mix, such as Reef Crystals or Instant Ocean. There are minor differences to the amount of moisture in them and the bulk density, but not that could cause a difference like that.

findingnemo2
09/10/2008, 03:41 PM
I know Randy, but it is true. I have a container I have used to measure my salt and by using that container, it made my salinity right on the money, then when I changed to the reef instant ocean, I have to use 3 or 4 times what I was with the regular. I figured it was because of all the extra's they put in the reef part of IO. I did have to adjust when I added my sump a few months ago, and I did do that, but wow at the amount it takes to get my salt mix right now, I am thinking of going back to the regular mix. Do you see any reason why I should continue using the IO reef, even if it it is taking way more than the regular? If so, I will but man......

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/10/2008, 03:53 PM
There are really not many "extras" in Reef Crystals on a volume basis, and they will boost salinity anyway. It is like saying I ate an extra big dinner last night, and now I weigh 3 times what I weighed yesterday! :D

It does not, under any circumstances, take 3-4 times a much solid as any other mix to get to the same salinity.

If you truly are adding that much more, I expect you have a salinity measurement problem. If true, it is a whopping error.

How much salt water did you make up? What portion of what size Reef Crystals container was that?

findingnemo2
09/11/2008, 06:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13328271#post13328271 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
There are really not many "extras" in Reef Crystals on a volume basis, and they will boost salinity anyway. It is like saying I ate an extra big dinner last night, and now I weigh 3 times what I weighed yesterday! :D

It does not, under any circumstances, take 3-4 times a much solid as any other mix to get to the same salinity.

If you truly are adding that much more, I expect you have a salinity measurement problem. If true, it is a whopping error.

How much salt water did you make up? What portion of what size Reef Crystals container was that?

Randy, I make up 25 to 30 gallons of salt water for my water changes. I bought the 160 gallon IO from Foster and Smith.

I see what you are saying. I am beginning to wonder if my batch is wrong. I have not contacted anyone about it because I have never used the reef IO before.
I use a refractometer to measure my salinity, not a hydrometer.
Don't know what to think about all this now.
Do you use the regular Instant Ocean or the Instant Ocean for reefs? Thanks again!

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/11/2008, 07:12 AM
I normally use normal Instant Ocean. I manually boost the calcium and magnesium in it with Dowflake and MAG flake additions.

FWIW, the other product is referred to as Reef Crystals here. You may confuse folks if you call it Instant Ocean for reefs.

findingnemo2
09/11/2008, 07:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13331753#post13331753 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randy Holmes-Farley
I normally use normal Instant Ocean. I manually boost the calcium and magnesium in it with Dowflake and MAG flake additions.

FWIW, the other product is referred to as Reef Crystals here. You may confuse folks if you call it Instant Ocean for reefs.

Sorry I called it that. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.