PDA

View Full Version : Red Seas Theory on my Micro Bubbles ! Anyone agree with this ?

paulwilko
09/09/2008, 03:21 AM
This is my first ever Fish tank let alone Marines, so this could be true yet it could be a load of rubbish, i have no idea.
So instead of just taking there word for it, thought i would ask all you budding scientists.

I had a visit from a Red Sea Rep who confirmed i have done everything i should of done and it is not a problem of the Max itself. He did how ever take it upon hisself to try and rectify the situation and I still agree taht he an dthe rest of the Red Sea team give nothign but good service, but unfortunately my problem still exists.

Anyway, this is there answer to my issue.

"After considerable time spent looking at the possibilities when I was in Israel last week, our chief scientist has one theory which definitely makes scientific sense but we are not able to confirm that this is indeed the cause of your bubbles:

We have many Max’s in the r&d dept. We have only one which exhibits a similar level of bubbles. It too has extensive coralline algae growth. This leads to an increase in photosynthesis and the amount of dissolved O2, which results in super saturation of Oxygen and the appearance of free floating gas bubbles. In our tests this was the only thing that changed over time, and is the only aquarium we have where we have anything like the coralline algae level you have. It’s the only tank which exhibits any bubbles, and we have therefore deduced that, in our case at least, this must be the cause. The bubbles were not present before the coralline algae became so prolific.

I’m really sorry we can’t give a firmer answer, but this may indeed be the solution. As I said when I met you, I haven’t found an aquarium yet which has bubbles other than consumer mis-use / lack of experience, but I feel in your case the coralline issue may be the most logical cause. It is definitely not caused by lack of cleaning, or equipment malfunction, as I know we have been through everything, and your aquarium was running properly. Interestingly, we have a large sps aquarium which we use for fragging corals. It too exhibits small bubbles and also has a high level of coralline algae. It’s filtered and skimmed entirely differently to Max. Our scientist (Sharon), said this was typical of mature reef aquariums."

What do you think and if you agree, what can i do ?

Paul

paulwilko
09/09/2008, 07:00 AM
Anybody please ?

Runner
09/09/2008, 07:13 AM
I can't speak to what you wrote, but it doesn't look like a "New to the Hobby" topic. Perhaps posting it in the general or reef chemistry or even the advanced forum. You increase your audience of knowledgeable people who might respond.

frank2926
09/09/2008, 07:28 AM
Take a flashlight and check the return lines on your tank when lights are out . Are there any air bubbles in the flow from the return line? if so they are coming from your filtration or plumbing.
My tank is about 5 yrs old . lots of coralline. I see an occasional bubble or two, thats it.

WinnipegDragon
09/09/2008, 07:53 AM
Microbubbles are a known issue in the Red Sea Max.

There are techniques to get around it, including removing or cutting down the foam in the filters. Check over on the Nano tanks forum, there is a Red Sea Max owners club thread there. Ask them, they know all the tricks!

paulwilko
09/09/2008, 08:00 AM
Ok, thx for your replies, i will do as mentioned.