PDA

View Full Version : Overflow boxes

Patrick12
09/09/2008, 09:08 AM
Anyone on the island here need to part with some overflow boxes? If so, I'll be glad to buy them. LMK.

Thanks

[email protected]

TheDeparted
09/09/2008, 07:24 PM
I made a thread about where you can get them on the internet.. would strongly recomend getting a U-tube overflow..

Patrick12
09/10/2008, 12:10 AM
I have a good friend who owns a premier reef shop back in the states. Just wanted to try and avoid the wait to get one. If I need one I can get it cheaper from him. Thanks though.

tylersdad
09/18/2008, 05:18 AM
I have 2 questions about overflow boxes.

How do you regulate flow between the overflow rate and the return pump? For example, if I get a 300 GPH box and a 480 GPH return pump can I put a valve on the return line without worrying about the backpressure burning up the pump? And if I put a valve on the overflow line will it mess with the siphon or anything?

Second, can I do basically the same thing with my canister filter? Put the intake hose in the tail end of the sump and filter the water on the way back up to the tank?

Wes.

Lionel
09/18/2008, 06:52 AM
Depending on your return, the head pressure might be all you need to even everything out. On my last tank I had a 300gph overflow, but a mag 5(500gph) return pump. I never had any problems with needing to regulate it.

I have my canister intake coming from the first section of my sump/fuge, and the output in the return section of the sump. I did this because I like to keep as much equipment out of the display as possible.

If you want to come take a look at my stuff, just send me a msg here or hit me up one day at work man

Lionel