PDA

View Full Version : light penatration through water?

billford
09/09/2008, 09:17 PM
when i look for corals to buy,the sellers often list how deep the coral was collected from i.e 15ft. my question is approx. how many lumens would be available to the coral at this depth.it will help with giving proper lighting.is there a lighting chart that describes the loss of light per foot of water with different lights?

ihavtats29
09/09/2008, 09:33 PM
i dont know of any chart but light penatration is measured by PAR
there is a meter you can buy to measure the lighting in your tank, maybe your local reef club or a mamber might have one you can borrow

seapug
09/09/2008, 09:59 PM
There are books that outline light attenuation at depth in nature, but it's more complicated in an aquarium. It's easier to go by general light requirements for the species you are interested in and the lighting you have on your tank.

BurntOutReefer
09/10/2008, 09:47 AM
Hope this helps:

http://oceansjsu.com/105d/exped_briny/13.html

billford
09/10/2008, 01:43 PM
thanks burntoutreefer,it was what iwas looking for. i was wondering if someone with a par meter would make some kind of chart on different lights and how much available light there is at different depths from diferent watt lights.just as a rough guide maybe .it may be a very helpful reference for RC.

BurntOutReefer
09/10/2008, 03:39 PM
check out sanjay's threads...do a search...he seems to be the light king here........