PDA

View Full Version : Clam ID

Phisher
01/29/2003, 09:22 PM
I really dont have rocks in my head but....I bought a clam a few months ago and cant remember what kind it is. The mantle is solid purple with a thin blue line that runs around the edge.

Dersa maybe???

OscarBeast
01/30/2003, 12:34 AM
A picture might help. How do you care for your clam if you don't really even know what it is?

:)

Flame*Angel
01/30/2003, 05:45 PM
Check this site for information on the different species:
http://www.marineatlas.net/inverts/clams.shtml

If you click on the red names at the bottom it will open to a photo. I learned a LOT from that book they link to at the bottom. It's just called "Giant Clams" by Daniel Knop. I believe it was originally written in German so the grammer isn't perfect but I'll bet this is the best information available on clams today. I'd highly recommend it.

Hope this helps,

Kevomac
02/07/2003, 11:25 AM
Dark purple mantle with blue line, relatively smooth sides to the shell with and no "scutes" (did I spell that right)? My inclination would be crocea. Just a guess.

Phisher
02/07/2003, 07:29 PM
Thanks Kev, Im going crocea too with what info I have been able to find.

Kevomac
02/07/2003, 10:05 PM
One other characteristic to look for on Crocea's is the growth lines tend to be very smooth, but distinct. Others,like squamosa's, have more pronounced growth lines.

Kevomac
02/07/2003, 10:07 PM
BTW, I've got two Crocea's, bought one last May and one just a few months ago. They are both purple, one with aquamarine spots, and one with blue and white highlights. They are both thriving under VHO lights and seem very happy. I love mine!