PDA

View Full Version : lighting for qt

Tyler6508
09/10/2008, 06:10 PM
i'm guessin a qt is a quarantined tank. i got a 20 gallon tank and i'm lookin for a good enough lighting fixture for fish and anenomes and corals. not sure what to get. cant afford metal halides. so i was hopin to find some t-5 lighting. just not sure what would be strong enough. help asap

Fish_wiz2
09/10/2008, 06:30 PM
well really ya really don't QT corals for long (IMO barely a day) but fish i understand and prefer NO florescent bulbs so they can tell day and night

reefnetworth
09/10/2008, 06:36 PM
your QT should be set-up exactly as your display, minus some of the aqua-scaping.
that also includes "ALL" of your parameters!

firebirdude
09/10/2008, 06:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13329197#post13329197 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefnetworth
your QT should be set-up exactly as your display, minus some of the aqua-scaping.
that also includes "ALL" of your parameters! That would include lighting too then correct?

This is a good question.

SWINGRRRR
09/10/2008, 06:59 PM
I'm no expert, but I use no lights, until towards the end of QT. Just ambient room lighting.

HaleMoana
09/11/2008, 11:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13329197#post13329197 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefnetworth
that also includes "ALL" of your parameters!

I respectfully disagree. QT does not require the same lighting as your display. They will be OK for a day or two. Then slowly acclimate them to your display tank by mounting them low and then gradually moving them higher. A frag rack is great for this. Just take a piece of eggcrate and attach it to a couple magnets or magfloat. Then just slide it up the glass a few inches each day to acclimate it to the new lighting.

Now, a frag tank is a different story. A frag tank should be set-up as close to your display as possible including lights.