PDA

View Full Version : coral issues

schmidt01
09/10/2008, 06:46 PM
I'm having some issues with 2 of my corals. The first is a finger leather that's been shrivelled up for a couple of weeks now. It's polyps extend a little every day but no where near as much as it used to. I noticed a small hole in it a while ago... I blamed it on a rabbit fish that was nipping my corals. I found a new home for the rabbit fish, but the coral is still shrivelled up and it looks like it has little white worms coming out of it. Do you have any idea what they could be? Should I do a fresh water dip? My camera isn't working, so I can't take a pic right now.

The other coral I'm having issues with is a torch coral I got 2 weeks ago. It was doing really well, but I noticed during my water change yesterday that it was bleaching a bit. I had it a couple of inches off the sand bed under 250 watt MH, so I moved it down to the sand bed and now it's not extending completely and it looks a little more bleached. I really don't want to lose this coral. Is there something else I can do for it?

My water parameters are good... Ph = 8.3, Salinity= 1.025, Ammonia, Nitrates and Nitrites are all 0.

My zoas and galaxia are doing fine, so I don't think it's a water issue, but maybe I'm wrong. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

schmidt01
09/20/2008, 06:53 AM
Can anyone please give me some advice???

The finger leather is doing a bit better, but the torch coral still looks awful. It's bleached a lot more even though I've had it in the shade for the past week.

texreefer
09/20/2008, 07:43 AM
How long have they been in the tank,? I would give the torch a little more light, not less
If the torch is expanded and not shrivled and pulling away from the skeleton then it will probably be ok just give it some medium to slow random flow and strong but not direct light(not right under halide)
what kind of filtration are y ou running,, if you are running lots of carbon ,you may be causing your leather to shrink, if have seen instances where carbon can strip the water too clean and that really attects softies like leathers.
There will ,I'm sure, be many different opinions on this and mine is just one of them,, I hope that helps you.

cook
09/20/2008, 07:57 AM
Tex may be right. I had a hole in my toadstool and found that after an increase in feeding in healed up just fine.

schmidt01
09/20/2008, 01:06 PM
The torch is retracted, which is why I put it in the shade. It's not completely retracted though. I got it about 3 weeks ago and it was fully extended for the first week or so. Then I noticed it was losing color, so I put it in the shade. Do you still think I should take it out of the shade? It's already as low as it can go in the tank, so I'm not sure what else to do with it.

I've had the finger leather for almost a year now.

For filtration I have my skimmer, a phosphate reactor and I run carbon and Sea Gel. The carbon is probably due to be replaced. I'm not sure exactly when I replaced it, but it was a while ago. Should I try taking it out?

Thanks for your help!!!