PDA

View Full Version : audio foam to baffle noise

tworoads
09/11/2008, 10:36 AM
so...im going to be lining the inside of my tanks cabinet with audio foam. do you think i have to worry about this molding?

royaldude
09/12/2008, 08:58 AM
Hi, If it is a "closed cell" type foam (hard) you will probably be OK. If it is the soft flexible stuff, it may absorb water/ moisture which then may get moldy. Perhaps you should take steps to try to quiet down the system (if you haven't already). If you have concerns about the moisture, line it with 6mil vapour barrier, seal it with the proper tape (red stuff I think) just like a house then install a small fan with vent holes to ventillate the cabinet. Although ventilating it would probably allow noise out/ increase noise with fans. If its not ventilated, you may end up with salt building up in some new spots, just stay on top of it and keep it clean.

tworoads
09/12/2008, 09:03 AM
i will do that. thanks for the suggestion!

Aqua Keepers
09/12/2008, 09:24 AM
6mil vapor barrier? What's this?

royaldude
09/12/2008, 11:37 AM
Hi, 6 mil vapor barrier is the stuff they put on the interior of the walls in your house under the drywall to prevent the humidity from your house from getting into contact with the insulation between the studs of exterior walls into your house preventing mold from growing there.

royaldude
09/12/2008, 11:38 AM
Hi, it is clear plastic that comes in rolls from the hardware or building construction stores