PDA

View Full Version : Are bioballs really bad for saltwater setups?

dwinter
09/11/2008, 06:08 PM
Hi, I recently talked to someone who was dead set that bioballs are bad for saltwater setups, because they cause a nitrate increase.
I have also read that bioballs work great they just need to be cleaned properly.

Does anyone have an opinion or experience with them?

Hop
09/11/2008, 06:13 PM
It really depends on what you are building. I think they are poor way to set up a reef tank, but they work well on a fish only set up;)

Bonneville08
09/11/2008, 06:19 PM
If you are setting up a reef, lose the wet/dry and the boiballs. You can use Berlin, Jaubert, or Ecosystem methods without the Nitrate problems.

Roy G. Biv
09/11/2008, 06:24 PM
Bio balls:
Ammonia -- Nitrite -- Nitrate -- Water Change

Berlin:
Ammonia -- Nitrite -- Nitrate -- Denitrification

The deep holes in live rock house denitrifying bacteria. This bacteria needs a very low oxygen environment that the deep holes provide.

Bio balls are fine but you need to do constant waterchanges to keep the nitrates down.

reefergeorge
09/11/2008, 08:29 PM
We just went over this. :)
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1467906

salll
09/11/2008, 08:38 PM
I had this same question for the owner of my LFS. He stated that,

"If your tank is in the early phases, e.c. about 0-6months you should not remove the bio-balls. They add a good source of Nitrate which will help deminish your Amonia levels while you are getting your tank established. But after the 6 months GET RID OF THEM!!! Throw them in the trash and put about 10lbs of live rock in there."

So I understand that logic and thats my plans for bioballs.

Hope this helps!!!

Hop
09/11/2008, 08:43 PM
Not sure I would agree with that salll;) I would be hesitant to listen to your LFS anymore...

jbc123
09/11/2008, 09:18 PM
Sounds similar to what my LFSes have said. If you are going with FOWLR or Reef then ditch the balls and once your tank is established grab some cured or base rock rubble and put a pound or two in it.

seapug
09/11/2008, 10:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13336904#post13336904 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hop
Not sure I would agree with that salll;) I would be hesitant to listen to your LFS anymore...
yeah, sounds like the LFS had an overstock of bioballs they needed to get rid of...;)

zeusfc
09/12/2008, 05:02 AM
I assume this LFS is the same one who is going to sell you the bio-balls, then in six months sell you the live-rock?

i'd go with the reef-rubble/ live rock approach

SoLiD
09/12/2008, 06:13 AM
There are not many people that are fans of bio balls. Live Rock is cheap enough so just ditch bio balls. Yes, yes reef rubble is the way to go.

-SoLiD

tany
09/12/2008, 06:50 AM
how about bacteria house
http://www.momotaro-koi.org/english/bakuteria/index.htm

rogergolf66
09/12/2008, 07:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13335713#post13335713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dwinter
Hi, I recently talked to someone who was dead set that bioballs are bad for saltwater setups, because they cause a nitrate increase.
I have also read that bioballs work great they just need to be cleaned properly.

Does anyone have an opinion or experience with them?

+1

cdness
09/12/2008, 07:47 AM
Yeah it sounds like the LFS just wants to make some money. The BioBalls are not a source of Nitrates, they convert Ammonia into Nitrate. Nitrate does not help deminish your Amonia levels, it is the waste product of the Ammonia conversion process and needs to be removed from the tank via water chanes.

Do you have any other LFS in your area you can buft the first LFS's info?