PDA

View Full Version : how to attach a frag

mdvistnes
09/12/2008, 10:44 AM
I have a number of frags ordered ready to arrive soon. In the past I have always tried to jam the end in between rocks etc but they are not very stable, or it doesn't allow me to put them where I want to. Any suggestions as to the best way to position frags where you want them, stable, without the bottom of the plug getting in the way? Thanks.

nattarbox
09/12/2008, 10:52 AM
Best luck I've had is removing them from the plug and using superglue (the gel kind) to stick them on the rocks. They encrust to the rock much faster and you don't need to wait six months for them to grow over the plug.

eman1985
09/12/2008, 11:44 AM
I drilled a large piece of rock and placed the plugs into the rock. After a couple months after the frags grow out i frag pieces and super glue them to other rocks.

sfsuphysics
09/12/2008, 03:25 PM
Glue on bottom, stick to rock, if glue doesn't initially cling to glue on frag put some glue on your finger and smear the area on the rock with it, then put frag down, hold until it gets tacky, turning your pumps down/off usually helps too.

I use a product called IC Gel, but it's basically the same as superglue gel, our club gets big tubes of it that costs up like $5 though

mdvistnes
09/12/2008, 03:36 PM
How do you remove the frag from the plug without traumatizing it? Does it just snap off?

Rick55555
09/12/2008, 04:16 PM
I usually just wedge a plastic knife between the bottom of the frag and the top of the plug.

lilchris
09/12/2008, 08:54 PM
I took out the the rocks that are on the top. Then I drilled 1/4" holes all over the rock. Then I took some rigid airline tubing and cut about 1/2" long and I epoxyed it to the bottom of the plug. I can put the plug in any position that I want. If it is not happy there, I can move it. It is very stable and you can't even noticed the holes that are drilled. Pretty slick. I can even press them into the back of the tank. I have a foam background.