PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Would you still attend MACNA if DVD's were available

Aqua Keepers
09/12/2008, 11:32 AM
Some of us were discussing whether or not DVD's of the MACNA events would hurt or benefit MACNA and the hobby. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1469629

Aqua Keepers
09/12/2008, 11:40 AM
I voted for buying the DVD and not attending the function. Nothing against MACNA, but I can't afford it.

SJGreene
09/12/2008, 12:21 PM
I voted for buying the DVDs and still attend the function.

I like attending the event for the discussions with other hobbiests, the trade show, and the raffle. All things you cannot get with a DVD.

I asked about DVDs after Pittsburgh last year, but they had not considered making/selling DVDs, even though they had taped all of the presentations for their local members to view after MACNA XIX.

My suggestion then, and now, is to offer the different presentations on single DVDs, much like IMAC did, or together as a package deal. There should be a time window after the conference where people pre-order which DVD(s) they want and submit payment. Then the hosting club can create only the exact number of the different DVDs they sold.

Once the order window closes, to bad for you. It would be a way to make sure the host club does not get stuck with a bunch of left over DVDs. By breaking up the presentations by speaker, a hobbiest can buy any and all of the ones they want. I would be more inclined to buy the individual DVDs than the whole conference on DVD, because there are always some topics I am not interested in.

Raibaru
09/12/2008, 12:45 PM
Pretty sure I wouldn't buy DVDs. I haven't gone to a MACNA before as I've just been in the hobby 2 years and didn't even know the convention existed until about 6 months ago. Since next years is in Atlantic City I may give it a shot.

Problem with DVDs though is we live in an information world. Why buy a DVD that is likely dated once you've burned it and the information can be found for free online (and really for free, not pirated etc).

Even the videos themselves could have some bad ramifications. Can you imagine going to MACNA and because they want to make a profit on the DVD sales that they don't allow you to take a camera or recorder in with you? Not to mention any legal issues from the speakers themselves and wanting to make a buck off the sales.

For next to nothing Joe Schmo could do it for free and make recordings/transcripts available of the events. Really don't see DVDs accomplishing much. But again, I've never been and have no idea what kind of seminars and such I'd find on these DVDs.

abulgin
09/12/2008, 12:58 PM
53 visits and only 16 votes? Come on . . .

Aqua Keepers
09/12/2008, 01:13 PM
The fourth option was a joke guys. Maybe you guys should be reading the help wanted section and not RC.

Raibaru, you're right about it being easy to post it free online and it's easier now that there are no restrictions on bringing cameras in. There basically allowing anyone to record and distribute it free. If they restricted cameras for the lectures, they could profit. Plus, I think most people on RC are good people looking to help our hobby.

raynist
09/12/2008, 01:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13340323#post13340323 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SJGreene
I voted for buying the DVDs and still attend the function.

I like attending the event for the discussions with other hobbiests, the trade show, and the raffle. All things you cannot get with a DVD.

I asked about DVDs after Pittsburgh last year, but they had not considered making/selling DVDs, even though they had taped all of the presentations for their local members to view after MACNA XIX.

My suggestion then, and now, is to offer the different presentations on single DVDs, much like IMAC did, or together as a package deal. There should be a time window after the conference where people pre-order which DVD(s) they want and submit payment. Then the hosting club can create only the exact number of the different DVDs they sold.

Once the order window closes, to bad for you. It would be a way to make sure the host club does not get stuck with a bunch of left over DVDs. By breaking up the presentations by speaker, a hobbiest can buy any and all of the ones they want. I would be more inclined to buy the individual DVDs than the whole conference on DVD, because there are always some topics I am not interested in.

DVD's were made for the members of the club that worked the show and could not attend the presentations (I taped them and made the master dvd).

I don't think a determination has been made as to whether or not to sell them.

--Ray

Raibaru
09/12/2008, 01:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13340642#post13340642 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pito
The fourth option was a joke guys. Maybe you guys should be reading the help wanted section and not RC.

Raibaru, you're right about it being easy to post it free online and it's easier now that there are no restrictions on bringing cameras in. There basically allowing anyone to record and distribute it free. If they restricted cameras for the lectures, they could profit. Plus, I think most people on RC are good people looking to help our hobby.

I doubt the restriction on cameras would be well received to be honest. I'm sure tons of people who go to this are the types totally devoted to the hobby and cause. But I'm willing to bet the majority who attend are more like me; the type that would love to go, but couldn't see spending the $$ it would take to go to one that wasn't in their backyard. People like to go make family trips out of these types of things, and limiting camera usage would be an insult. And video recorders are so small I can't imagine them limiting recorders and not cameras too. My camera is bigger then my recorder (not to mention my camera can store short movies too).

The only DVD option I could see really making any real impact would be a "Collector's Series" type of DVD that had highlights from the past events. I really doubt the market exists for a lecture type series that would no doubt cost hundreds of dollars.

Makes more sense for MACNA to host free videos from key not lectures online so people who are on the fence about making the trip to one of these are more likely to go once they see the kind of stuff that's at them imo.

I just don't see DVD's being a real option.

DIRK GRIFFIN
09/12/2008, 01:40 PM
I have been to most of the Macna's and all of the Imac's. From what little I know about recording, these things take a whole lot more work than many think.
The set up they used at the Imac shows, bordered on the same lines of a small band set up. Like you would see at many bars. A whole LOT more equipment than one might imagine. They were working the entire speaking time and constantly adjusting things and problem solving. Never did watch any of them to see how they turned out.
I have some vcr tapes from many Macna's ago, the sound and quality are ok at best. Many background noises drowned out the speakers. The Q & A sessions could have been more interesting IF we knew exactly what question was asked.
The dvd's should be better than the tapes of the past.

You just can't set up a camera, turn it on and leave it for an hour. Then come back and switch disc's and repeat. Professionals in this field are not cheap.
Someone/company will have to be paid and paid well to get this done right. Which will add a significant cost to everything, IMO...

Aqua Keepers
09/12/2008, 01:45 PM
Raibaru, I'm not too sure you're right on this. If the lectures are held in a separate room, the restriction only needs to be in there. This way people can have their photo ops still. I think people would respect that. Cost wouldn't even be a factor if done the way SJGreene explains. I guess we'll have to wait for the polls to be in to see if the market is there.

laud
09/12/2008, 01:56 PM
I voted that I wouldn't attend and I would buy the dvd.

Not because of the dvd, but because I have 2 kids under 5.

Now to NOT steal the thunder of the show, just sell the dvd 6 months later.

Aqua Keepers
09/12/2008, 02:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13340799#post13340799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DIRK GRIFFIN

You just can't set up a camera, turn it on and leave it for an hour.

Why not? I don't think it has to be high end. A camera with the mics hooked up so we can hear the speaker and the questions asked is all thats needed and would sell.

laud, I like the 6mos idea.

SJGreene
09/12/2008, 08:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13340724#post13340724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raynist
DVD's were made for the members of the club that worked the show and could not attend the presentations (I taped them and made the master dvd).

I don't think a determination has been made as to whether or not to sell them.

--Ray

I understand the DVDs were made for those volunteers who worked the show and were not able to see any of the discussions. I think that was a great idea and was acutally suprised not to see any video cameras in ATL. Not saying they weren't there, but only that I didn't see them.

As for PMAS making a determination as to sell MACNA XIX DVDs or not, I figured with no announcement now a year later, that it was a moot point. Maybe I'm wrong? Even after a year, there are still some of the sessions I would be intersted in having a copy of.

raynist
09/12/2008, 08:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13342892#post13342892 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SJGreene
I understand the DVDs were made for those volunteers who worked the show and were not able to see any of the discussions. I think that was a great idea and was acutally suprised not to see any video cameras in ATL. Not saying they weren't there, but only that I didn't see them.

As for PMAS making a determination as to sell MACNA XIX DVDs or not, I figured with no announcement now a year later, that it was a moot point. Maybe I'm wrong? Even after a year, there are still some of the sessions I would be intersted in having a copy of.

I think the club has a number of extra copies. I don't see why they would not sell them if someone wants them although I am not the person to ask...

heyfredyourhat
09/12/2008, 09:40 PM
No porcupines?
I would buy a dvd and not attend macna only becuase i am way too far up north to attend

Lotus99
09/12/2008, 10:02 PM
If I were able to attend, I might want a DVD to bring back and re-watch or to share with local club members who couldn't attend the event. Even not going, I might still be interested in a DVD for the same purposes.

I know the AGA (planted tank assoc.) has made DVDs available in the past, but I have no idea how popular they were.

I wish I could go, but it's too hard to get away from work at this time of the year :(

HarleyDude
09/12/2008, 10:23 PM
If MASNA / MACNA decided to do this, I think they should charge the same price for the DVD's that they do the tickets to get into MACNA. As Steven Pro stated, it would potentially affect whether some goes or not and potentially having a major impact to the conference and benefits of the hosting club. Same cost cancels that impact to a point.

The DVD should include what a blast fish geeks have including one night at the bar. This year we were partying with UFC fans and fighters. We drank 'em under the table.

If you goto MACNA, you should be able to purchase a DVD for an small additional cost.

Just my 2cents.

DaveMorris
09/13/2008, 01:48 AM
Recording the talks and making the DVDs is easy and can be done professionally and for not too much money. It would be a good resource for those of us that can not go for one reason or another. I didn't go because it was too expensive to fly over there from San Diego. Maybe someday the people that organize these shows will realize that the West Coast actually has a few reefers out here. It sucks that both shows seem to always be in the east. In the mean time, I would just buy a DVD if it were available.

cloak
09/13/2008, 03:59 AM
I'm seeing it right here!

;)

hans1976
09/13/2008, 06:05 AM
I know MACNAXVI did make DVD's available. They have plenty still available.

DaveMorris - the clubs bid for MACNA. Over the past several years, there has only been one club willing to put in a bid. I encourage you to work with you local club to put in a bid for the 2010 MACNA.

These events take a lot of work to put on and it takes a club with a bunch of people working together. With next years being in AC, it is a great place to make into your family's vacation. It is almost as good as Connecticut :D

Steven Pro
09/13/2008, 08:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13344594#post13344594 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by hans1976
I know MACNAXVI did make DVD's available. They have plenty still available. Exactly! It takes a lot of time and money to produce DVD's (or VCR tapes in the past) and is not a profitable venture because you make very little on them in comparison to attendees and historically the host clubs have been stuck with a bunch unsold.

SJGreene
09/13/2008, 11:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13345041#post13345041 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Steven Pro
....historically the host clubs have been stuck with a bunch unsold.

But if the host club took pre-orders and only made the exact number of copies they needed, then there would be no extras to be stuck with.

Of course, this could only work if the host Club was not under some sort of minimum purchase agreement from a video company. If the club taped the conference themselves, and then made the DVDs themselves, they should not be stuck with a bunch of unsold copies.

Again, just my $0.02