PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium/salt question

Emporess75
09/12/2008, 03:49 PM
I use Tropic Marin and from testing and then reading I have found that this salt has lower than NSW levels of Magnesium. I also read that it has a nice amount of phophate and nitrates. Is this true? I have always thought (and heard at Manca at the Tropic Marin booth) that it has zero phospahte and nitrates. Also, what is the best product and method for raising magnesium without causing any chemistry issues? I already have reef complete as well as Tropic Marin Bio-Cal, will either of these help any? I am at 1150ppm. TIA!:)

IslandCrow
09/12/2008, 04:22 PM
I can't answer any of your specific question about Tropic Marin salt, though there is a salt study out there that compares many different brands. I will say that I don't think any brand actually has 0 phosphate and nitrate. They all have some. It's just usually below what you'll be able to detect with any test kit you're likely to have.

That said, there are many products you can use to raise calcium. ESV and Kent both have a liquid Magnesium supplement that I've used and been pleased with. If you go over to the chemistry forum, there's an article in the stickies that will show you how to make your own supplement using Epsom Salt and a product called Mag Flake. You can use Epsom Salt by itself, but prolonged use has the potential to raise your sulfides to unacceptable levels.

I'm not real familiar with the two products you mentioned, but if they have any magnesium in them at all, I doubt it's going to be enough to significantly affect your current levels.

froggy4112
09/12/2008, 10:24 PM
here is a link i found a while back, it may help you...

http://web.archive.org/web/20030608135355re_/www.animalnetwork.com/fish2/aqfm/1999/mar/features/1/default.asp

NealNano
09/12/2008, 11:46 PM
Is the salt normal TM or is it Pro Reef? I dont think your phospates in your new salt water is from the TM salt, it mostly is coming from your water source. However if there is a problem with your salt contact TM and explain your problem. There is a batch number on the underside of the lid, you will need that. TM will send you a new batch of salt if there is a problem.