PDA

View Full Version : Someome with RO/DI knowledge please

GlassReef
09/12/2008, 08:03 PM
I should state that I'm a total newbee to RO/DI.

I bought a Typhoon III (75GPD) about 7 weeks ago. Last week I bought a used booster pump - so I ordered a sediment pre-filter. While installing the pump and new pre-filter, I noticed there seemed to be something wrong with my Typhoon setup. What looked like a sediment filter was located between what I assumed was two carbon filters. Checking on the AWI website I determined that this had to be wrong (seems to me, the sediment filter should be first) so I sent an email to AWI asking if they had installed the filters like that on purpose. I got no response. So I called and left a message - no response. Another message (yesterday) - no response. So as I can't seem to get any response from AWI, can anyone here on RC tell me:

Can it be correct that my setup has

Stage 1 = Carbon filter
Stage 2 = Sediment Filter
Stage 3 = Carbon Filter

Also, assuming it's wrong, can I just change it without causing a problem? Does running the unit with carbon filter first for 7 weeks hurt the carbon filter? Should I buy a new one?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

chris0942
09/12/2008, 10:06 PM
www.airwaterice.com there site can anwser all your questions.

GlassReef
09/12/2008, 11:07 PM
Thanks Chris - but that's my problem - can't find an answer at AWI.

wenszoo
09/13/2008, 05:56 PM
glass reef I just went to there website and it is listed on the bottom of the page for the typhoon.http://www.airwaterice.com/product/1TYPHOONIII/TYPHOON_III_AQUARIUM_RO_DI_75_or_100_GPD.html
stage 1 sediment
stage 2 5 micron carbon
stage 3 1 micron carbon
stage 4 membrane
stage 5 mixed bed DI

GlassReef
09/13/2008, 06:11 PM
My bad - I quess I'm not stating my question(s) very well. What I need to clarify is:

1. Can I just change filter sequence now (to the way it should be) without causing a problem? I would think I can, but I just wanted to be sure.

2. Does the 6 or 7 weeks of running the unit with carbon filter first hurt the carbon filter? Should I buy a new one?

Also, I noticed that there are no markings, of any kind (at least I couldn't find any), on the 2 carbon filters. Any idea how you tell which is the 5 micron and which the 1 micron?

reefrubble
09/14/2008, 07:45 AM
Tom , You should be fine changing sequence , this early in the game . Approximately how many gal. have you run through the unit ? Call me when you get a chance . Ted