PDA

View Full Version : Running PhosBan Reactor

WhiteLightsaber
09/12/2008, 10:02 PM
Okay, so I learned (I guess incorrectly, not sure yet) how to pack a reactor. I learned to sandwich the GFO and carbon in between filter pads. So it would go: intake - filterpad - carbon - gfo - filterpad - output. Now, there would be no tumbling, because of how packed it was.

Now, I recently learned I was doing it wrong, and the GFO is supposed to tumble. However, I am being told that it will reduce the effectiveness of the GFO.

So I am somewhat confused. Would increased flow through two filterpads holding the GFO work better, or is it better to tumble the media? Wouldn't tumbling the media cause it to break apart and cause problems?

Thanks for any insight...

hedgedrew
09/13/2008, 12:28 AM
get a secound reactor and daisy chain them and run one just with gfo slightly tumbled only on top and fill it only two thirds full. and another with just carbon

Michael
09/13/2008, 05:41 AM
its not a good idea to mixed a phosban material with carbon, the carbon can exhaust quite quickly, probably only last 2 weeks, and the phosban can last up to 2-3 months, so you waste the phosban when changing the carbon and its expensive as you have probably found out, so i would suggest a second reactor for the carbon or put it in a bag in the sump, if you do use a second reactor for the carbon use it on reverse flow, it will then force the water through the reactor without crumbling the carbon as it tumbles

WhiteLightsaber
09/14/2008, 12:51 AM
Wouldn't tumbling break apart the GFO? Or would channeling occur with filters pad happen?