PDA

View Full Version : Glass-Holes overflow box

firebirdude
09/12/2008, 10:55 PM
I was looking into the 700gph overflow box from glass-holes, but then I noticed the price. 55 bucks for that tiny 6x6x2 plastic box? I priced out some opaque black acrylic shipped to my house from here (http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DPI&Category_Code=Translucent_Cast_Acrylic_Sheet). For $20 including shipping and silicone, I could build my own with probably more linear skimming. Am I missing something here?

OceansCoral
09/12/2008, 11:10 PM
You are looking at the whole kit. They include the bulkhead, the hole saw diamond bit, and overflow.

firebirdude
09/12/2008, 11:14 PM
Am I now? (http://www.glass-holes.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=4)

On that note, the overflow in the 700gph kit looks much skinner than if you were to buy it separate. See? (http://www.glass-holes.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=5) And I guess they dont charge you $10 extra for teeth with the kit? So, bulkhead, hole saw and tee-shirt for another 10 bucks?!

LOL!!! And I just noticed you can remove the hole saw from the package deal and subtract $10!! LOL So you get a free bulkhead, elbow, and t-shirt if you choose that item instead? The overflows have GOT to be different.

SIguy
09/13/2008, 12:42 AM
Are their overflows made of acrylic? If so how do yu seal them to the aquarium wall? Silicone doesn't adhere well to acrylic and yu cant use weldon.

boilermaker1
09/13/2008, 05:53 AM
the bulkhead comes with 2 seals... one for between the box and the inside of the glass, and a second for outside of the glass. The bulkhead goes in "backwards" in that its inserted from the outside of the tank and tightened from inside the box.

firebirdude
09/13/2008, 07:58 AM
Anybody? Are the overflow boxes different between the packages and separate? And why wouldn't I just buy a small sheet of black acrylic and spend 20 minutes in my garage making my own for THAT price...

FishNFun
09/13/2008, 08:28 AM
I guess it depends on what you think your time is worth. For that little bit of money, it's easier to buy it than having to run around and get all the materials and diy it. I've got the 1500gph one and it rocks!

firebirdude
09/13/2008, 08:48 AM
~$20 vs $55. And I could have that thing from sheet to box with teeth in under an hour. That kind of markup makes me want to buy up a bunch of acrylic, make a few boxes, and sell them on here for profit....

billdogg
09/13/2008, 08:49 AM
+1 ^^^

I ordered the complete dart pump overflow kit. Couldn't be happier. Yes i could make the overflow myself - it is just a box after all - but then i still have to run down the hole saw, bulkheads, order the pump, .....instead they send it all to my door, ready to go

sjm817
09/13/2008, 08:51 AM
You can always DIY things and save $ if you want to. You could build your own tank, skimmer, everflow system, stand, whetever you wish, or buy it ready made. Your choice.

firebirdude
09/13/2008, 08:56 AM
Although I LOVE the little banjo music they play in the demo video, lol, a large percentage of us do not need the huge dart package. And I realize they work great and a lot of people are happy with their products.

Glass holes.com just emailed me back and said the picture of the 700gph package deal is old. The box has been redesigned a couple times and now looks like the picture if bought separately. Just to clear up any confusion. I guess if you order the package without the hole saw, you get a free elbow, bulkhead, and t-shirt....just for fun. lol

Oh and they also told me to expect an entirely new website. They're closing that one and designing another from the ground up.

sjm817
09/13/2008, 09:03 AM
The package with the hole saw looks like the best deal to me.

BTW, be careful. You have a 55G, right? Some 55Gs (Perfecto I think) are tempered on all 5 sides.

firebirdude
09/13/2008, 09:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13345218#post13345218 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
BTW, be careful. You have a 55G, right? Some 55Gs (Perfecto I think) are tempered on all 5 sides. 55g yes. And I've been trying to find out since day one. I've tried the dual polarized filter BS and can't see a thing. The tank has a sticker that look nearly identical to "made by" stickers I've seen on other tanks, except is says "Cleaned by MAR 99" and has a small anchor next to it. There is also a pink sticker that is crumbled up and unreadable. First word is in huge print and starts with a T and ends in a D. lol So we know what it says.

I assume "MAR 99" is a date. March of 99. By looking at it and knowing where I bought it, this is entirely possible. If the tank is this old (all of 9 years). Do you think the age would lend itself to being plate glass on the sides? I've debated risking it...

sjm817
09/13/2008, 09:31 AM
Try is and see. If it shatters, good excuse to get a better tank! I hate 55Gs (no offense).

LUVSPS
09/13/2008, 09:36 AM
I just recently bought the 1500gph kit and I love it! Free shippping and it got to my door in three days. They even sent candy in the box too:)

firebirdude
09/13/2008, 09:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13345350#post13345350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
Try is and see. If it shatters, good excuse to get a better tank! I hate 55Gs (no offense). Not the answer I was looking for!!:D :D

The 55g just met my budget. It's an extremely common size and frequently very cheap. No problems finding stands, lights, etc for that size and shape. 75 bucks for tank (leak tested), stand, and canopy. How can I argue?

sjm817
09/13/2008, 09:48 AM
But it is skinny and you cant fit a decent tank under it for a sump. $75 is a good deal though.

firebirdude
09/13/2008, 06:59 PM
Oh I'm getting that 20L in there.... if it's the LAST thing I do.... I WILL get that sucker in there. :)