PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble connecting GROUND PROBE

pjewett
09/13/2008, 08:53 AM
Hi All

My weekly aquarium project today is setting up grounding probes to my tanks, creating drip loops & hiding wires and plugging it all into GFCI outlets I purchased online.

I see 2 things in the instructions for the grounding probe that concern me:

1. attach eyelet onto middle screw of wall outlet.

I've removed the cover but my outlet doesn't have a "middle" screw...but instead one on the top and bottom of the outlet that screws it in place. Are these as suitable to attach the eyelet to as the abscent middle one?

2. you should make sure the ground that you connect the eyelet to is above the water level that the titanium probe is located in.

Surely most aquarium setups are like mine in that the outlets that I plug equipment into are below the water level? Will my drip loops take care of it?

Thanks!

paulallen
09/13/2008, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure about the probe being above the water level. That really isn't necessary, unless they are protecting against drip down the probe into where it is grounded. As far as your first question, there is some information that is needed. Do you know the wiring method in your house? It will not be sufficient to ground the probe to the ears of the receptacle, unless your house is wired with EMT (electrical metallic tubing) or MC cable and the receptacle is self grounding. I doubt it is. Usually houses are wired with romex. This is wires that are in a plastic sheath for protection. One easy way to find out what wiring method you have is look at the box that the receptacle was mounted in. If it is metal, look at where the wires come into the box. If you have romex you will see some of the plastic sheath coming into the box through the connector. Usually plastic boxes are used with romex and here you will see the sheath and the boxes are usually blue. Plastic is not a suitable conductor and cannot be used as an equipment ground. However, if you have a metal wiring method then it can be used as the equipment ground. If it is metal you can ground the probe directly to the box. If you have copper water pipes you can also ground the probe to these. If the box is plastic and the wiring method is romex then you will need to ground the probe to a bare conductor inside the box. This wire is in romex specifically for grounding purposes. Whatever you do, MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF THE CIRCUIT THAT YOU ARE WORKING ON. GET AN INDUCTANCE TESTER TO MAKE SURE IT'S OFF. Anymore electrical questions just post em.

stagefright13
09/13/2008, 11:20 AM
I have a titanium heater and checked the conductivity to ground and it is already grounded. You sure you need the probe?

paulallen
09/13/2008, 11:29 AM
Conductivity to ground?