PDA

View Full Version : Maybe urgent??? calcium and alk question

DLANDINO
09/13/2008, 05:08 PM
Hi, I overshot my calcium a bit today during my water change making my total tank ppm oc calcium equal 520. I performed an alk and ph test and found that my alk had fallen from a previous 3.8 to 1.8 and my ph had fallen from 8.6 to now 8.0. Can I do the following to make this right,

continue to add only the alk portion of my 2 part bringing the alk up and allowing my corals to uptake the excess calcium, test every day and once normalized continue as normal?

As for the PH, can I add a PH booster to bring my ph back to 8.6?

Obviously I am looking to do this in the safest way possible. Thanks.

Dave

HighlandReefer
09/13/2008, 05:50 PM
The ideal pH range from what I understand is 8.2-8.4
Why would you keep it at 8.6?
The calcium can go down through consumption IMHO.
The alk can be increased with baking soda with no or little effect in pH or you can bake the baking soda to get an increase in pH slowly. I do not see this as urgent IMHO. A pH between 7.8 - 8.4 is an acceptable range. :)

DLANDINO
09/13/2008, 05:54 PM
Thanks Cliff, my PH seems to measure 8.6 by my color chart, but those colors are always subjective. I am glad that this is not something to sweat over. I am still very new to the hobby having only started last Dec. Thanks for the answer!

Dave

HighlandReefer
09/13/2008, 05:58 PM
I have trouble reading pH kits myself. I would recommend that you get a pH meter with two point calibration if you are serious about reefing. :)

DLANDINO
09/13/2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks, will do!

Randy Holmes-Farley
09/13/2008, 07:17 PM
I agree that calcium at 520 ppm is not any concern. Just supplement alkalinity going forward and calcium will decline. Baking soda is a fine way to maintain the alkalinity until the calcium declines, then I'd switch to a balanced calcium and alkalinity supplement of some sort (two part, limewater,, CaCO3/CO2 reactor, etc).