PDA

View Full Version : New frozen food advice?

swbeginner
09/13/2008, 09:21 PM
I got some frozen cubes for my fish and inverts: I have 2 occ. clowns, 1 orange spot shrimp goby, a pistol shrimp, a feather duster (feed phytoplankton), some turbo and nassarius snails, and in the future I plan on an anemone (far future), some softies, and a sixline wrasse. The food I got is saltwater multipack which has 4 different types of food. It has squid, enriched brine shrimp, and these

:::::Marine Cuisine is a blend of natural seafood ingredients, spirulina algae, color enhancers, and vitamins. A complete diet for your marine carnivores - provides the same nutritional balance found on a coral reef. Its familiar scent entices fish to feed aggressively.

"""""Emerald Entrée is a complete nutritional package especially for fish that rely on microalgae and vegetable matter as a main nutrition source. Fortified with Omega-3 fatty acids such as EPA and DHA, proven to be important for optimal growth and disease prevention in marine fish. Also contains mysis shrimp, a natural attractant, to stimulate appetite and entice finicky eaters.

My question is, should I mix all of these food together and feed or should I have a rotation? If I should have a rotation, what should it be. If I feed the mix, should it be daily, bidaily, tridaily?

beenhad
09/13/2008, 09:29 PM
i mix mine togethr

PSU REEFER
09/13/2008, 09:51 PM
I use the same stuff. I just rotate a different cube each day. I like the variety--you don't like eating the same thing each day do you?

IslandCrow
09/13/2008, 09:53 PM
Mixing sounds like a great idea. I usually just rotate, but I only have two fish, so it takes me awhile to go through one cube, much less two. As long as you feed a variety of different types of foods, you're going to be good. I'd also suggest throwing some flake and/or pelletized food into the mix. I only feed flakes once or twice a week, but it's just some more variety.

As for feeding schedule, I'm a big fan of feeding at least daily. Like with humans, I believe it's better for a fish to eat multiple small meals rather than 1 big one. Also, the smaller the amount you feed at any one time, the less food goes uneaten.

swbeginner
09/13/2008, 09:59 PM
should I mix in the brine shrimp cubes?

swbeginner
09/13/2008, 10:02 PM
they have manhaden oil in them.

SoLiD
09/13/2008, 10:19 PM
What most people do is buy a bunch of differnt types of frozen food mix them together then refreeze them into cubes. Then serve a cube or so daily.

swbeginner
09/13/2008, 10:32 PM
sounds good, but since I am not fully stocked and my bioload is small, less than a cube is what I will feed.

seapug
09/13/2008, 10:34 PM
I use it in a bind, but The San Franscisco Bay Brand stuff is not the best quality. By the time you thaw it and pour off all the debris you aren't left with much. Compare the nutritional analysis with their mysis with something like PE Mysis and it's obvious (8% protein vs. 70% protein). I've really become a fan of Rod's Food lately. Definitely try it if you can find it-- does a great job of feeding fish and corals. Stuff really responds to it.

SoLiD
09/13/2008, 10:37 PM
Rod's Food... I will have to look that up. Thanks

IslandCrow
09/14/2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah, PE Mysis is good stuff. I just wish I could get the stores around where I live to carry the stuff.