PDA

View Full Version : Cayano problem!

God of thunder
09/14/2008, 08:38 AM
Hello there.

i´m having crazy cayano bacteria problem, i recently bought a pair of golden headed sleeper gobys to takle the problem, you reckon that would work?

jbc123
09/14/2008, 08:44 AM
I dunno if those fish eat it, but you need to address why you have cyano and fix that.

Some algae is normal to get but crazy cyano problems is indicative of abnormalities in your system such as high nutrients (phosphates, silicates, nitrates) and/or poor flow.

Sk8r
09/14/2008, 08:45 AM
They'll help. The word you want is cyano.
What will help more is turning out your lights for 3 days, 4th day actinic only once a month. Sounds drastic, but it works, slowly. Having a good skimmer helps, too, during this period. This stuff feeds on light, and shutting off the light discourages it. The skimmer helps uptake its dead remains, and it just gets scarcer and scarcer.
Ro/di water also helps. Don't know how the water is in Iceland, but as some of the planet's newest real estate, you might havea fairly heavy mineral load in your water. Check (with a TdS meter) the Total Dissolved Solids in the fresh water you're using. If not 0, you need the ro/di filter.

God of thunder
09/14/2008, 08:49 AM
Will turning off the lights for 3 days not harm my corals?

Sk8r
09/14/2008, 08:58 AM
It will not. The 4th day actinic prevents them sunburning, as you would react to strong light if kept in the dark 3 days, but other than that, no ill effects---even happier corals. It mimics what happens when a major storm rolls through the tropics: the reef grows very dark.

Feed fish on regular schedule; they'll come out, eat, go back to their holes. Ambient room light ok, but curtain your windows.

God of thunder
09/14/2008, 09:08 AM
I have an anemone, will this not effect her either?