PDA

View Full Version : T5 gurus....need your opinions please

ReefNutPA
09/14/2008, 07:53 PM
I have an Aquactinics TX5 36" fixture over my 40 gal tank (36x18x16height). The current bulb configuration is from front to back: Geisman AquaBlue Plus, Geisman 6K, Geisman Actinic Plus,GE 3K, ATI Blue Plus.

I know next to nothing about bulb types or quality. I was lucky enough to have someone familiar with t5's recommend those bulbs and that configuration.

The bulbs are now 1 year old and I assume it's time for replacing. Currently the tank houses only a Crocea clam (which previously lived for 4 years under PC lighting), a leather coral, and a semi-newly acquired RBTA that isn't doing so well :(

My question is.... shall I replace the bulbs with the same bulbs or are there better bulbs/different configuration that may work better?

The only additions to the tank I plan on making are either replacing the RBTA if it doesn't make it - or get a haddoni carpet. To add further info, I had a haddoni under PC lighting in this tank for 7 years. After replacing the PC's with this t5 fixture, I lost the haddoni within a few months. Basically it turned inside out and fell apart.

So, with anemone/clam care in mind - any suggestions for different bulbs or stick to the same ones/same configuration?

Thanks in advance for any help/opinions offered!

Tom

jtma508
09/15/2008, 06:47 AM
Check out this thread:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=13355775#post13355775

It has all the info you could possibly need regarding T5 bulb combinations. GrimReefer is our resident expert on the subject.

The Grim Reefer
09/15/2008, 07:42 AM
Try this

Front
ATI Aquablue Or Giesemann ABlue
UVL Super Actinic
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color (looks similar to the 3000K but less PAR)

You probably killed your previous anemone by nailing it with about 3 times the light intensity your previous setup had. Overtime the animals can adapt to lower light, expecially an anemone if you are feeding it regularlly. Hitting them will a bunch of new intensity can stress them out and cause what happened.

My tank is 22" tall and I use an aquactinics constellation. Using 2 actinics 3 blue pluses a UVL 75/25 and a ATI pro Color. The blue pluses are the most powerful lamp in that mix and it drove a RBTA behind the rocks so it only gets light from the bank shot off the back glass. You have plenty of light