PDA

View Full Version : Reusing old sand out of a established tank.

basssnake
09/15/2008, 03:04 PM
I have setup a new system(180gal tank, 100 gallon sump, 45 gallon refugium). I am going to break down a tank that has been running for two plus years and i am wondering if i should put the aragonite sand(sugar sized with a little crushed coral mixed in)into this new system, or pitch it. The tank does have a high nitrate problem and i am not sure about phosphates, haven't checked, but wouldn't surprise me if there is a little in there too.

Give me your opinions......

reefkeeper135
09/15/2008, 03:19 PM
It has been discussed many times and the majority always say to ditch the old sand. When you replace the sand seed it with a few cups of the old sand and it will be just fine.

ryan_paskadi
09/15/2008, 09:20 PM
I keep mine. Just rinse the heck out of it. the bacteria should have a strong biofilm that will not rinse off. The bad stuff (organics) should rinse out. Thats my .02 but I do not care about a little cycle in my tanks. I am also not an expert on the subject, but this is my practice. I just do not see the point in buying new sand unless you can afford it with out a fret. Then go with new.

Macimage
09/15/2008, 09:52 PM
I also have rinsed the heck out of old sand with lots of saltwater and reused it successfully.

Joyce

widmer
09/15/2008, 10:12 PM
Yea I really don't see why not reuse the old stuff. The only way I'd be wary is if it's got a lot of black sulfide deposits, I'd rinse those out.

enerfin
09/15/2008, 10:21 PM
rinse and reuse

flyyyguy
09/15/2008, 10:27 PM
I would never reuse it unless it was only a couple of months old, nor recommend anyone to do so.

Sand is cheap in the big picture, especially if you intend on keepign the same tank up for any length of time....like years and years.

When you get the opportunity to start with a peefectly clean slate.....you take it. Use new dry sand and add a cup or two from a established sandbed if you like. With or without adding the established sand from somewhere else it will become live soon enough on its own

Macimage
09/15/2008, 10:53 PM
Sand is cheap in the big picture..

If your tank needs 500 lbs., you are looking at $500 more or less. I guess that may be cheap to you, however, to others it may not be.

Joyce

DaveG99
09/15/2008, 11:01 PM
cant you just save a few cups live and then rinse the rest really well with fresh water. That would clean it and kill anything living in it.

Macimage
09/15/2008, 11:04 PM
I rinse in saltwater, as I don't want to kill the live bacteria. It costs a bit more, but was worth it to me.

Joyce

DaveG99
09/15/2008, 11:10 PM
what do you do? Put it in a tub with saltwater and mix it around with your hands?

Macimage
09/15/2008, 11:32 PM
That would work. I have some large rubbermaid type storage bins that I used. I mixed it up really well. That gets rid of the sulfide pockets and most of the junk particles and debris actually floated to the top.

You can use water change water you were going to throw out for some of the rinsing. I started with that and then used clean saltwater for the final rinses.

Joyce

basssnake
09/16/2008, 07:26 AM
I am just wondering about if the sand would hold nitrates and/or phosphates. That is the only reason i could see ditching it if it would hold those things and it wouldn't rinse out. Anyone know on these issues??