PDA

View Full Version : algae problems

woogy
09/15/2008, 03:08 PM
I am debating on how to fix this. The green algae does not want to go away. Pretty much every day there is a film on the front glass everyday that I use the mag float on. I also have some hair algae, some brown and most recently red!!! I have a catalina ps which is hunk of junk. In the months that I have had it it pulled out maybe 1/4" skimate!!! I feel with a better skimmer I should see better results right? I was considering a HOT octo skimmer. I also am considering a phosban reactor. Honestly I just want an honest opinion on what I am doing wrong and point me in right direction. Also I do weekly water changes of at least 5-7 gallons and only use ro/di water. Please help!

HighlandReefer
09/15/2008, 03:15 PM
How high are your nitrate & phosphate levels now?

woogy
09/15/2008, 04:04 PM
nitrate is 5-10...phosphate is 0

HighlandReefer
09/15/2008, 04:44 PM
Have your nitrate levels been staying at this level for some time or have they been increasing?

woogy
09/15/2008, 05:01 PM
actually they have been going down

HighlandReefer
09/15/2008, 05:10 PM
From what I have read, you want to get your nitrate levels down below 0.2 and preferably down to 0 using the test kits to help keep algae under control.

I would think in your size tank it would be more economical to do 30 percent water changes until you get your level back down to 0. After that hopefully, your algae problem will decrease and your current water change schedule will maintain the 0 reading of nitrates. Cutting back on feeding your fish may help also. :)

woogy
09/15/2008, 05:18 PM
ok sounds good...I have been increasing my percentage of water when I do water changes each time...next time I am going to try 8 gallons every 6 days and see what happens and also get new filtration...also do you feel more flow would help? I have a koralia #1 and #2 for a total of 1000 gph

HighlandReefer
09/15/2008, 05:25 PM
If it provides enough flow to keep debris on the bottom of your tank stirred up and allowing it to be removed by your skimmer, then that is adequate. :)

bertoni
09/15/2008, 10:18 PM
The flow level seems fine. A better protein skimmer might help a lot. How much food is going into the tank per day?