PDA

View Full Version : scratch removal

Juice It
09/15/2008, 04:07 PM
I had a couple small scratches on the outside of my acrylic tank and used a scratch remover consisting of a few different grit sand papers and some polish. Now I have a giant hazy spot instead of a small scratch and don't know how to fix it. Anyone used anything they can recomend? I did just what the directions said but it didn't work.

woodiecrafts
09/15/2008, 04:57 PM
Those type of scratch removal kits very seldom work the way they are supposed to. There is always just enough material in them to make you think you are doing it right only to find out like yourself it didn't work. Depending on just how bad the scratches are and the haziness, you could try a compound called Novus that might help you, but in order to do it right you need to wet sand the area down with micro mesh from grits 1500 - 12,000 and the scratches will disappear. It is alot of of elbow work but it is a permenant fix as well.

Juice It
09/16/2008, 09:34 AM
I guess I will try again but now I am nervous. I tried the Novus and it makes it look better because it gives it the wet look but the scuff is still there. WHen you sand and its wet you can't tell what it will look like until you dry it off. I should have never messed with it! You were right about them giving you tiny little squares of sand paper that don't last.

ioreefer45
09/16/2008, 10:36 AM
I have used everclear acrylic with success as well.

http://www.etr-inc.com/

silverwolf72
09/16/2008, 01:45 PM
Are you using all 3 Novus grades? Sounds like you are just using number 1. You have to start with 3 then work your way down to 1. I've taken some fairly deep scratches out with Novus.

Juice It
09/16/2008, 01:50 PM
I think I have 2 and a polish. The scratches are gone but there is a fine haze that is the size of a grapefruit where I did the sanding.

UrbanSage
09/18/2008, 09:09 AM
I have done this on a number of tanks.
sanding paper on the wet side and Novus on the dry.

Either product works like a charm, but it can easily take a couple of hours for even a 1" scratch. But then the tank also looks newer than new :)

On the wet side I go through 8 different grits (depending on scratch depth).

Important part is to take your time.