PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Tanks

alexvarani
09/16/2008, 05:17 AM
Hi, I write you from Italy (sorry forn my bad english...:-(()
I'm experienced with "normal" glass tank, but I have no idea about "plastic" tanks (such as plexigless, lexxan, policarbon, etc.)
In U.S.A are quite common..I'm very interested in their pros and cons.
Lightweight, versatility constructive against yellowing, issues of cleanliness, ease of scratches, etc ...
I would be interested in your feedback on this.
Thank you

If you can, please write back to:
alex_varani@sacmi.it

chad508
09/16/2008, 09:50 PM
i do not like acrylic tanks due to the scratching issues. they do look better if you can keep them clean. they are lighter, but unless you plan on a large tank cost of a small acrylic tank will be more compared to a glass tank. just my 2 cents

alexvarani
09/17/2008, 01:47 AM
Thank you chad. I posted the same topic in italian reef forum and...I'm waiting answers.
My main worry is about interior tank cleaning. I heard about a "special automatic device" for cleaning acrylic tank. Do you know it?

Macimage
09/17/2008, 08:37 PM
I also prefer glass tanks, as I scratched my first acrylic tank quite a bit.

Are you referring to magnets for cleaning inside tanks? They come in both glass and acrylic styles. Here is an example of a magnet tank cleaner:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16806

Joyce

alexvarani
09/18/2008, 12:30 AM
Really, I'm not referring to such kind of magnets...These magnets are very common for glass tanks. But are they usefull for acrylic ones?
I remember that few years ago, into a web site, I saw a "special automatic device" for acrylic glass cleaning. At the moment I'n not able to find it again :( ....

Macimage
09/18/2008, 09:02 AM
Yes, they have special pads for acrylic tanks.

I have not seen the automatic device.

Joyce