PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong with the mesh mod on my ABee 2000/1 and my Dwyer meter?

lukinrats
09/16/2008, 11:38 AM
I got an air meter to try and get my Aquabee pumps mesh modded, and dialed in... First off, the meter is showing around 12 scfh, and from what I can find out, that translates to about 340 l/hr... I thought the Aquabees were supposed to pull about 500 l/hr un-modded... So I think I must be doing something wrong with the meter

Next, I put 6 layers of mesh on top of the pinwheel for the Aquabee, and pulled them all down, really really tight... I then trimmed the mesh down around the impellar... I trimmed it to where it was almost exactly the same roundness as the impeller... This made no difference what so ever according to the meter... So I know that this method does not work

Next, I took the other pump, and put 1 layer of mesh on top of the pins... For this one, I trimmed the mesh down to where it was about 3/16 or 1/4" bigger around than the impeller... This made the mesh fill up most of the volute... I plugged it in, and this caused a little jump in performance, but according to the meter it was still only pulling 15 scfh or 425 l/h... This is still not even what it supposedly will do if run stock

I am pretty sure that cutting the pins off, and making it a threadwheel only, is the way to go... However, I want to make sure that I have everything working right before I do this... I have a feeling that I am doing something wrong, as the meter should read at least 17 or 18 scfh, with the stock pumps

Can anyone help me out on this... I really want this to work, but it is becoming a PITA, and I may just give up trying to mod the Aquabees

Could it be that my meter is actually a l/m meter, but by mistake says scfh?

Later,
NathanS

lukinrats
09/16/2008, 11:48 AM
BTW, Here is a picture of the meter

]http://i12.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/d9/08/e55c_1.JPG

JRaquatics
09/16/2008, 11:50 AM
I have never personally seen an aquab pump pull more than 10scfh stock. I have mesh modded the DAS impeller and couldn't get past 18scfh and had start up problems. I never understood were others were getting these air numbers. I have tested old Deltecs with the Aquab 2000, H&S with the AB 2001, and DAS with the 2001 and all of them gave the same readings 5-8 scfh stock (on the skimmer).

chewie
09/16/2008, 11:52 AM
Is this a brand new pump?

My AB2000/1 pulled about the same as yours does IIRC.

IMO, it has more to do with the Venturi than the pump.

lukinrats
09/16/2008, 11:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13363934#post13363934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JRaquatics
I have never personally seen an aquab pump pull more than 10scfh stock. I have mesh modded the DAS impeller and couldn't get past 18scfh and had start up problems. I never understood were others were getting these air numbers. I have tested old Deltecs with the Aquab 2000, H&S with the AB 2001, and DAS with the 2001 and all of them gave the same readings 5-8 scfh stock (on the skimmer).

That is just what I have seen somewhere... It is hard to find anything on RC about this... I am going to go home in a bit, and pull everything off of the pumps, and then check them just stock... I just want to make sure I am hooking the meter up correctly... I put the tube that goes to the venturi into the top hole on the meter, and then crack the little valve on the meter... The air pulls at the ball to give the reading... Is this correct?

Thanks,
NathanS

lukinrats
09/16/2008, 12:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13363952#post13363952 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chewie
Is this a brand new pump?

My AB2000/1 pulled about the same as yours does IIRC.

IMO, it has more to do with the Venturi than the pump.

care to elaborate? Here is a picture of my skimmer... The venturi hose seems to be about 1/4" id, and the inlet down on the pump has a piece of hose over the original inlet, in order to let the larger hose fit... Does that make sense?

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x10/lukinrats/Nsmithskimmer-1.jpg

chewie
09/16/2008, 12:14 PM
Looks like the EXACT venturi as the DAS/Deltecs.

H&S uses a different venturi, and all the H&S's I've seen pull better #'s

Does the skimmer pull good skimmate? If so, leave it be. If not, you could make a better venturi if you're handy.

lukinrats
09/16/2008, 12:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13364083#post13364083 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chewie
Looks like the EXACT venturi as the DAS/Deltecs.

H&S uses a different venturi, and all the H&S's I've seen pull better #'s

Does the skimmer pull good skimmate? If so, leave it be. If not, you could make a better venturi if you're handy.

Well, to be honest, it really does a fine job... I am really just trying to get 1000 l/h from the 2 pumps... I don't feel like that would be a stretch... I am sure that it can be done fairly easily, but I really just want to make sure I am using that meter correctly, before I start to mod any further.

If I can be sure of that, then I will probably cut the pins off one of the pinwheels, and stack some mesh on there... I feel like this could get me a little over 500 l/h on each one... Are there any instructions on the meters, so that I can make sure I am doing it correctly?

twinspanda
09/16/2008, 12:26 PM
I've seem a thread where the Bubble magus skimmer pulls more than 10 scfh on the Dwyer, i believe it was an Aquabee pump with needlewheels...

chewie
09/16/2008, 12:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13364120#post13364120 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lukinrats
Well, to be honest, it really does a fine job... I am really just trying to get 1000 l/h from the 2 pumps... I don't feel like that would be a stretch... I am sure that it can be done fairly easily, but I really just want to make sure I am using that meter correctly, before I start to mod any further.

If I can be sure of that, then I will probably cut the pins off one of the pinwheels, and stack some mesh on there... I feel like this could get me a little over 500 l/h on each one... Are there any instructions on the meters, so that I can make sure I am doing it correctly?

I haven't used that meter before. I'm sure it's close, but the real reason you want to use the meter is to test your results. I use mine soley to measure gains/losses with modifications. The #'s don't mean too much to me, just a baseline to work with.

JRaquatics
09/16/2008, 12:29 PM
Meters are easy. Just hook the airline to the top port and the other end of the airline to the venturi. Dial the valve to the open position till you reach max air reading. Just make sure the Dwyer meter stays in the upright position to get true air readings. IMO I think you are better off with the pin wheel in the long run.

lukinrats
09/17/2008, 06:46 PM
Ok, just to update this!! I went home, and did a few different things, none of which was to cut off any pins yet

1st I took one of the pinwheels, and applied 3 layers of enkamat right on top of the pins... I pulled this down really really tight, and then trimmed the mesh down to where it was about 1/8" bigger around than the impeller disc... This did not work because the pump would not start

So next, I pulled the impeller, and trimmed the mesh down until it was the same O.D. as the impeller disc... This worked, but did not help at all, it was just like I had done nothing at all

Next, I pulled the same impeller, and cut everything off... I then put 2 layers of mesh on top of the pins, and pulled them down tight, but not any tighter than what the fishing line would get... Then, I trimmed the mesh down around the impellar down... I only trimmed it so that the mesh was bigger than the impeller, but did not rub on anything inside the volute.... Winner!!!!!!!!!!

I think this is about the best you will do, without cutting off any of the pins... On this particular pump with the mesh mod described above, the pump was doing 20 scfh... That is 566 L/H!!!

I did the other pump exactly the same, but must have trimmed the mesh different because it is only around 17-18 scfh... I will have to redo this, but I am happy now... The skimmer that I have always felt like it needed to do around 1000 L/H to be highly efficient

Mission Accomplished!!!!!

Later,
NathanS

heyfredyourhat
09/17/2008, 07:49 PM
Care to show us some pics? I would like to do this to mine, but am scared of friggin something up

lukinrats
09/18/2008, 12:25 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13373633#post13373633 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by heyfredyourhat
Care to show us some pics? I would like to do this to mine, but am scared of friggin something up

Ya, I am work right now, its after midnight... I will be home tomorrow night, and was planning on giving one of them another shot... I will take a picture then, and post it here\

later,
NathanS

Freed
09/18/2008, 04:06 AM
Where does one get this mesh stuff? What's the actual name of it? Thanks

Big_D
09/18/2008, 06:51 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13375606#post13375606 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Freed
Where does one get this mesh stuff? What's the actual name of it? Thanks

It's called Enkamat... you can pick some up at Premium Aqautics. The flat back is supposidly better than the PF4. Here's a link, it's about half way down the page...

Link (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=GFI) <<----

D

maxxII
09/21/2008, 05:35 PM
Pictures?

Nick

maxxII
10/30/2008, 04:27 PM
Hows your skimmer working now? I just recently mesh modded my H&S AF150-2001 and have Dwyer meter on the way. I'm curious to see how yours is holding up long term.

Nick

chadfarmer
10/30/2008, 04:41 PM
do you thank it has anything to do with the flap inside the pump