PDA

View Full Version : Those of You With Sequence Pumps Under the TanK

zachluhrs
09/16/2008, 12:11 PM
Looking for some feedback on those of you with Sequence pumps under your tanks. How's the noise and vibration? Anyone running 2x6000's under the tank for closed loops?

tylorarm
09/16/2008, 03:29 PM
i had a tarpon for closed loop, too noisy so i replaced it with red dragon (near silent). i also have two darts which are fairly quiet but not near as quiet as the red dragon. My darts are not the new 'gold' edition, they might be quieter.

zachluhrs
09/16/2008, 07:35 PM
Are your darts directly underneath the aquarium?

JRaquatics
09/16/2008, 07:40 PM
I have a Dart gold directly outside of my stand. I can't hear it run and is an excellent pump. I have a Old AO smith motor dart in a cabinet and I can hear it run and is getting louder with age. IMO Baldor motors (New Reeflo Darts) are one of the more dependable and quite running motors on the market.

zachluhrs
09/16/2008, 09:11 PM
Totally, Baldor all the way!

summer6
09/16/2008, 09:18 PM
The tank is getting close to production and the tricky part of the flow pattern is having 2 island overflows for a walk-around tank.
Tank will be 72"x30"x24" with LPS, SPS and possibly a clam or two.
Not sure if just one dart can do the job since the overflows aren't situated in the usual places.

heyfredyourhat
09/16/2008, 10:56 PM
I have a snapper under my tank. pulls water from over the top and spits it out via 4way in holes in bottom and top of tank.

It is pretty quiet though. I have it sitting on a mousepad too. I can hear it humming slightly only when the rest of the house is silent (early morning or very late). It is not an annoying hum either, I know my eheim 1262 had a really annoying hum until I added a piece of vinyl tubing to it

flyyyguy
09/16/2008, 11:28 PM
I have a hammerhead on tile behind my 90 in the living room. Soft piped and on a piece of rubber its just a very soft humm that I honestly dont even notice.

I will add that there is also a 240 in the same room. All equipment for it besides a skimmer and sump is in a different room though. I just offered that as i just might be numb to the sound of reefs. lol

I have had quite a few different hammerheads and barracudas and for soem reaospn all of the barracudas are louder than the hammerheads. Cant explain why but it is true

das75
09/16/2008, 11:57 PM
I have a standard Dart directly below the display that's in the family room.

It's quiet but not silent. During the day, with other things going on (kid, TV, etc) it's not there. It's midnight, everyone's in bed and I'm going to sit on the couch beside the tank and read for a bit, it's humming away, as said not annoying but it's there.

I've also got a Barracuda in the basement on the return, know people have them under the tank and I just can't see it myself. Mine measures about 66 dB at 2' in the open.

ReefEnabler
09/17/2008, 12:00 AM
I have a dart in my cabinet under my display. I have it secured to a small wooden plywood sheet with foam under the sheet to help vibration, and spaflex on all the lines to dampen plumbing vibrations.

that said I still hear the mutter of the motor echoing from the back of my stand... but its not that loud, about as loud as my dursos, its acceptable.

However, my barracuda in the fishroom out in the garage seems to be alot quieter even tough its doing way more work. I think the noise properties are subtle and vary pump to pump even when talking the same manufacture. Although I wonder why I am getting so much salt creep near the impeller shaft....

I may upgrade my closedloop to a dart gold.

ReefEnabler
09/17/2008, 12:02 AM
can somebody please reiterate exactly what is different about the gold versions, as well as the difference between reeflo and sequence?

liveforphysics
09/17/2008, 03:05 AM
My dart gold is silent. My regular dart was loud enough that I removed it from my otherwise silent system.

I have 3 sequence pumps under my tank, and you hear the fridge's pump in the kitchen kick on and make more noise than my tank.

I should add, all my pumps are flex coupled and rubber mounted to minimize vibration transfer, and the doors of my stand use 1/2" sheets of acustic dampening pads. Simple install things like this make a big difference in the noise a pump will make.

das75
09/17/2008, 09:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13368781#post13368781 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RyanBrucks
can somebody please reiterate exactly what is different about the gold versions, as well as the difference between reeflo and sequence?

For the Gold a better Baldor motor. Reeflo was division of Sequence, now appears more separate.

Saltcreep = seal going. On my first Dart ran for about 2 years before I replaced. Got the seals from Reeflo and is a quick easy job to replace.

JRaquatics
09/17/2008, 09:28 AM
From my understanding, Reeflo is a Division of MDM as is Sequence. The Reeflo is geared toward saltwater hobbiest and sequence for fresh water pond use.

The regular Dart used the AO smith motor. The tend to get loud with use and run hot. The Gold and now being offered as the normal dart since they liquidated all the AO smith darts. I can't say enough good things about the Baldor motor. The are near silent (just a slight wisp sound from the fan), run smooth and are cool to the touch.

Phyxius
09/17/2008, 09:36 AM
I have one of the new Darts with the Baldor motor and its whisper quite. I hear the fan on the back of it more than the motor. Its in my stand below my display in our main room and cant hear it at all with doors closed on stand.

ReefEnabler
09/17/2008, 11:35 AM
thanks guys I'm definitely thinking of replacing my standard dart with the gold now :)

so if my seal is going on my barracuda thats very dissapointing, as I've only had it running for about two months and its bran new...

zachluhrs
09/17/2008, 11:41 AM
Anyone run these pumps by Sequence: 6100SEQ23, 8500PWR55, 9200PWR69, or the 11000PWR72. Probably going to run 2x6100SEQ23's under the tank for closed loops. Thanks for all the info guys/gals!

JRaquatics
09/17/2008, 12:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13370770#post13370770 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zachluhrs
Anyone run these pumps by Sequence: 6100SEQ23, 8500PWR55, 9200PWR69, or the 11000PWR72. Probably going to run 2x6100SEQ23's under the tank for closed loops. Thanks for all the info guys/gals!

Are those pumps safe for saltwater use?

flyyyguy
09/17/2008, 12:12 PM
You might want to check the wattage draw on those pumps you listed zachlurs

You would be better off running a couple of hammerheads.

;0

I looked into the 9000 series for a project a coupe of years ago, and the elecricity consumption was insane. Far cheaper to just set up 2 seperate closed loops

ReefEnabler
09/17/2008, 12:55 PM
D&T has a really good deal for a "Super Dart Gold"

http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/product_info.php?language=en&currency=USD&products_id=8352

Is that the same as the regular dart gold sold elsewhere? definitely about 10-20 bucks cheaper.

BigJay
09/17/2008, 12:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13370725#post13370725 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RyanBrucks
thanks guys I'm definitely thinking of replacing my standard dart with the gold now :)

Same here, the gold/baldor darts are much more efficient.

They draw about 10% less wattage and deliver 10% more flow.

I'm going to buy a dart gold, and keep the old dart as an on-site backup.

zachluhrs
09/17/2008, 12:58 PM
Those pumps are saltwater safe, I called MDM. I wouldn't be running the larger ones under the tank. I'm leaning towards just putting the closed loop pumps downstairs in the sump room. Yes the watt draws look like a lot, but that's at max power and max head. I don't want to undersize the pump and have it "overworked". Check this chart out on the Power9200.

http://mdminc.com/Doc/Sequence%20Data%20sheets/Power%201000%20Model%209200PWR69.pdf

Worst case scenario I have 20' of head with mutiple outlets=roughly 500watts drawn.

Phyxius
09/17/2008, 02:10 PM
All the new darts will have the Baldor motor including the standard version. So you dont need to spend extra $$$ on a gold version for the Baldor motor. Benefit is the Gold version has a 5 yr warranty, less power consumption and more gph