PDA

View Full Version : Barracude Reeflo pump and Penductors

skippyreef
09/16/2008, 02:43 PM
I just got this pump and it says it is for medium head applications. The water will be traveling up roughly 5 feet to the inlets on the tank and there are no 90's on the way since the pipe was bent with a PVC blanket. Will this pump handle using 3-4 penductors and will it be worth it. The tank is 270 gallons.

ioreefer45
09/16/2008, 08:08 PM
I have 6 penductors running off my reeflo dart and it's providing extra flow in my tank. Since the barracuda is rated higher than the dart, I would imagine you'll get more flow. I would try out 1-2 penductors on your existing outputs and feel the difference in flow for yourself.

skippyreef
09/16/2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the reply. I am going to replumb this anyway so I wanted to consider this and see if it was possible to increase the flow rate with penductors. How far below the water line for these?

ioreefer45
09/16/2008, 08:27 PM
I have mine ~3" below the water line. You can adjust it if yours are attached to loc-line. It can suck in a lot of air if it's too high causing it to spray microbubbles.

liveforphysics
09/16/2008, 08:34 PM
I use 8 eductors per barracuda on my tank. This was the optimization for flow on the head vs flow chart of the barracuda vs the pressure difference vs flow ratios of 0.375" orifice eductors in my closed loop (no elevation head, very low plumbing head)

For your application, you want to be using at least 4-6 eductors minimum.

Best Wishes,
-Luke

skippyreef
09/16/2008, 09:16 PM
Man this is good information and I appreciate it!!