PDA

View Full Version : octopus nw 150

Kieth71
09/17/2008, 11:14 AM
I just thought i would share my experiences with my skimmer.I have never owned or used a skimmer so this was all new to me.This skimmer came with no instructions except for a picture of how to assemble it.I have tried to read everything i could online about this skimmer and i knew it would take some break in time.I found it started to produce skimate only after i raised the water lvl to 9 inches and also raised the water lvl in the skimmer above the funnel about 1 and 1/2 inches.I know there are mods that can be done and have read all about them but this is stock and i am not prepared to do mods to this right now.I also messed with it alot as far as water lvls in the first week...in retrospect i would recomend leaving it alone to run for a week or so with the water lvl in the skimmer just above the funnel section that can be removed.I also feel one of the key things that made it start working well without any mods was raising water lvl from 8 to 9 inches of water.Here is a picture of the skimmer and even though the cup is empty because i just emptied it is shows the foam working its way up.I hope this helps those that are new to this skimmer and useing it stock without mods.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/2298/dscn0492rl9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
By kman71 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/kman71)

NealNano
09/17/2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah mine came with no instruction as well only a parts list. I ran mine with no mods for a week or so. I t takes about 4-5 day to brake in. I worked great but I felt like it needed more air. I did the venturi mod, this made a huge difference. Then I got mod happy and did the mesh mod. Arter all that it is like a different skimmer. The NW Octo skimmers are great skimmers and easy to use, i reall like mine. You should mod it trust me on this.

ronbis
09/27/2008, 01:09 AM
I finally moved my water level up. I thought it was supposed to be below the top of the funnel. It looks like I may finally get some skimmate after running this thing for over a week. Thanks for the tip.

Personally, I was unhappy with the "directions" and the whole having to blow in the pump to get it to start thing. I wish I had gone with maybe a ASM G1 or precision marine. I will give this one a run though to see how it works before I totally pass judgement on it.

I definitely am not happy that I may have to mod it to get it to skim well. Does China censor reefcentral from being accessed? Don't these guys read this stuff - why don't they manufacture a skimmer that has these mods built-in? I see lots of threads on mods, and personally I don't have time to waste fixing their design flaws.

silverwolf72
09/27/2008, 01:40 AM
I have the older 150 and found I get much smaller bubble and better skimming with the silencer on. I also drilled out venturi as large as I could without cutting into the intake.

LexSkizzle
09/27/2008, 12:23 PM
I've been extremely happy with my NW-150. Ran it about 2 months stock with great skimmate and no complaints. I did the venturi and mesh mod only after reading so much about it on this forum and it did indeed improve the performance of the skimmer. Point is, theirs always room for improvement with anything no matter how great it is. I didn't want to nor did I have to mod my skimmer, but curiosity got the best of me and Im pretty happy it did.