PDA

View Full Version : brown algae?

conk12301
09/17/2008, 01:31 PM
I posted yesterday and I'm still not sure what's going on.

I've been cycling my FOWLR tank for about 2-3 weeks (still no nitrite spike). The last couple days I've seen an explosion of brown algae (I'm assuming that's what it is) all over the surface of my live rock. That's the only thing it's on, but literally every square inch that the light can touch is covered by this stuff.

Is this normal? Is it a bad sign?

Is it something I should address or will it die down on it own?

Also, wouldn't this be something that couldn't grow unless my tank was already cycled?

conk12301
09/17/2008, 02:40 PM
Any ideas?

sdc19982002
09/17/2008, 02:46 PM
Do you have live rock or live sand. if so how much and what size tank. If you do you may not have a full blown cycle. I didnt have one at all. At least not detected. i'm at the end of the problem your having now. It is a normal thing and will go away on its own. Mine stuck around for about 2 weeks but I also had nitrate levels around 15 . As soon as I solved that problem things cleared up.

conk12301
09/17/2008, 03:05 PM
I have a 35 gall tank.. about 40 pounds of live rock... with live sand.

I also just noticed there's air bubbles on the brown algae. Don't know if that means anything.

But your situation sounds kind of similiar because my nitrates are about at the same level.... and it doesn't really seem like I'll be having a full blown cycle either.

Should I get something for the algae or should I just let nature take its course?

sdc19982002
09/17/2008, 03:11 PM
I would try to get some water movement on the sand, but not enough that the sand blows everywhere. Then address your nitrate problems. If your pretty sure you've cycled then in my opinion I would do a 25% water change. Then just waiting it out a little bit and it should go away on its own.

Boostin S14
09/17/2008, 03:48 PM
It is most likely a diatom bloom, completely normal and almost expected during a tank cycle. It will most likely get worse (like covering your sand and on the glass as well), but dont worry, it does go away. If it is still there after your cycle is complete, add a few turbo snails, thats what I did in my 75g and it was gone in a matter of days.