PDA

View Full Version : Fridmani Pseudochromis

CraigSlice
09/17/2008, 04:51 PM
I am thinking of getting one of these for my reef tank, and i am just wondering how aggressive they are. and if it would be okay in my tank. I really like the color of it (other choice is a royal gamma) but was unsure of how aggressive they are, and if i would be better off going with the gamma if they are to harm my other fish

currently in tank:
2 false clowns
1 one-spot rabbit
1 algae blenny
1 chromis
1 cleaner shrimp
+CUC
(also adding a flame angel down the road and maybe a sandsifting goby)

If they are really aggressive, which ive read in some places that they are, is there another pink/purplish fish out there that isnt so aggressive

revaltion131
09/17/2008, 06:43 PM
Shrimp-killer, but it is a peaceful fish. Make sure to get one that was captive-bred. ORA and others do supply them. A good pink/purple fish, though it will be expensive, would be a Pyle's Fairy Wrasse (C. Pylei) and a female or two for him.

Gary Majchrzak
09/17/2008, 06:53 PM
I've never heard of a Red Sea Orchid Dottyback killing a shrimp before. Anything is possible, I suppose. I have many smaller shrimp species in the same aquarium as my Fridmani. I've seen my Fridmani get in line for a shrimp cleaning.
Royal Gramma is (usually) more aggressive than Fridmani.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y270/gary334/IMG_2881keeper.jpg

CraigSlice
09/17/2008, 09:13 PM
thanks for the replies,
but now i have 1 saying shrimp killer, and other saying not, hopefully ill get some more opinions/replys before i make my decisions to get one or not
:rollface: :rollface: :rollface:

Bax
09/18/2008, 04:52 AM
I have a mating pair now , I have had four over the years.

Great fish, there will always be room in my reef for these dottybacks. In a small tank, they will not tolerate similar body types so keep that in mind, some one will die! Lots of rockwork will ease that teritorial feeling for them. Mine have been fine with Pepermint and Fire shrimp.

They can be timid and vary as individuals in terms of eating. My male is large and fat, but I rarely see him eat as he won't compete with the other fish. The little female will rip mysids out of the mouth of anyone in the tank :D

revaltion131
09/18/2008, 07:41 AM
Hm. I had heard and read that any and all ornamental shrimp would be open season for any dotty or pseudochromis, which is why I don't have one in the tank with my harlequin. Maybe there's a good deal of misinformation out there that I've been reading through. I'd be interested in finding out more, as well, it sounds like.

Grouperhead
09/18/2008, 08:02 AM
My fridmani never bothered a fire shrimp in the tank with him

Chooch1
09/18/2008, 09:04 AM
I have kept several orchid dottybacks going back at least 10 years and I have never had one even touch an ornamental shrimp. I'm not saying it couldn't happen but that it would be unusual. Great fish with outstanding color.

Bax
09/18/2008, 02:10 PM
I also have smallish hitch hiker pistols (from TBS rock) clicking away, over four years, four differnt OD's and they are still ... clicking away!

revaltion131
09/18/2008, 02:13 PM
Maybe the warnings I've read are meant for more 'bite-sized' shrimp like Sexies and Anemone Shrimp. Too bad I don't have room for one in my current tank.

Dakota Reef
09/18/2008, 08:29 PM
Never had a problem keeping an orchid dottyback with shrimp. Although I used to have a pair of breeding Fire Shrimp and he'd clean up on the babies......just like all the other fish in the tank.

I can believe almost any other pseudochromis could be a shrimpkiller though. Some are amazingly aggressive.