PDA

View Full Version : Wiring question on Blue line electronic ballast

basssnake
09/17/2008, 08:46 PM
I am rewiring a blue line 400watt electronic ballast. It shows the that black wire and white wires go to the bulb and the green goes to ground. How do i go about grounding the green wire? I have my retrofit metal halides mounted in a sheet metal canopy that i built and it will be hanging above the tank. Do i ground it to the metal canopy, or will it make the metal have a electric charge? Or do i need to ground to the floor in the room? I don't know what to do........please advise. thanks

just dave
09/17/2008, 09:47 PM
I ground them to the bulb socket mount.

basssnake
09/18/2008, 08:02 AM
The socket is mounted to a reflector. Please detail me further. will it cause where ever the green ground wire is mounted to have a electrical charge? More detail would be appreciated, thanks.

just dave
09/18/2008, 11:22 AM
The socket(metal mounting screws) is attached to the socket mount( metal) which is in turn attached to the reflector(metal) which is in turn attached to the canopy ( which is metal in your case.) So if all the attachment points have a good metal to metal contact ,once you ground it anyplace on your fixture it is all grounded. I ground my retros at the bulb mount because it's right next to the socket connections and it is convenient. If it is grounded properly it will keep you from getting shocked should something short by allowing the GFI or breaker to trip.

basssnake
09/18/2008, 02:28 PM
With all that in mind.......does my canopy have to be grounded to something? It will be hangin from hooks that will be going into wood in the ceiling of course. So, i assume that there will be no charge in the metal canopy?

just dave
09/18/2008, 03:28 PM
If it is all metal and conductive and attached as soon as you ground any part it is all grounded.

basssnake
09/18/2008, 06:01 PM
You totally confused me there. I guess i am dumb in this department. Ok, if i hook the green wire(ground) to the metal canopy, then it is grounded? Or only after the chain that is going to hold the canopy in the air is hooked onto the metal eyelet that will be in the wood in my ceiling? Or will i get shocked if i touch the canopy if it isn't hooked to the eyelet in the ceiling? I am so confused now.....lol........you might explain more fully and understandable since i am so lost.....lol....

just dave
09/18/2008, 10:54 PM
Is the bulb socket attached to a metal bracket with metal screws?

If so attach the ground wire to the bracket. It is the most convenient place as it is right next to where the black and white wires will attach to the socket. If the bracket is painted or powder coated there will need to be bare metal where the ground is attached and where the socket screws attaches to said bracket. Any metal component attached to the grounded bracket will in turn be grounded as long as the attachment points have clean metal to metal contact. Once the cord is plugged into the ballast ( if it has a plug) and the ballast is plugged into the wall ( I'll assume everything is ok there and it's not an old house) it will be grounded.