PDA

View Full Version : How long?

markhilken
09/17/2008, 07:52 PM
Hello everybody.

How long can I cure live rock for without actually putting it in a tank? Right now my scheduel is tight for time and I'll probably be setting up a 120 gallon come spring time. I would like to start getting some live rock and then adding Marco rock or the like. I have plenty of time and lots of patience. What would be the best setup for this, besides a powerhead and heater. Would I need a skimmer?Or can that wait? Would I need lights? Does live rock have to be fed? One of the reasons of doing it this way would be that it would be cheaper to get Marco rock and seed it with some live rock. Maybe a 50/50 mix of about 120 lbs. That would give me about 6 months to seed and cure the rock. My tank stand will probably take that long to build. I'll post pictures and you'll understand why.

thanks
Mark

tewkes
09/17/2008, 08:59 PM
6 months is a bit overkill IMO. If you're doing 50/50 it should only take 1.5-2 months at the longest. Why don't you just use 90% or more of marco rocks and seed it with a few lbs of live. I doesn't have to be a huge ratio. Throw a piece of cooked shrimp in there to help start the cycle (if you need to, assuming the live rock doesn't).
I've been curing approx 75lbs of rock in a 40 gallon tub in my baseent for about 2 months now. I just have a heater and powerhead, but preferrably you'd use a skimmer to pull some of the nasty stuff out.

Flipper62
09/17/2008, 09:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13374048#post13374048 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by markhilken
Hello everybody.

How long can I cure live rock for without actually putting it in a tank? Right now my scheduel is tight for time and I'll probably be setting up a 120 gallon come spring time. I would like to start getting some live rock and then adding Marco rock or the like. I have plenty of time and lots of patience. What would be the best setup for this, besides a powerhead and heater. Would I need a skimmer?Or can that wait? Would I need lights? Does live rock have to be fed? One of the reasons of doing it this way would be that it would be cheaper to get Marco rock and seed it with some live rock. Maybe a 50/50 mix of about 120 lbs. That would give me about 6 months to seed and cure the rock. My tank stand will probably take that long to build. I'll post pictures and you'll understand why.

thanks
Mark

Right now my scheduel is tight for time ..........I have plenty of time and lots of patience. HHhhhmmmmm.....I'm confused

I missed something..........WELL IT IS BEER TIME....:dance:

markhilken
09/18/2008, 02:07 AM
I knew somebody would catch that.