PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee PH Controller SMS 122 Problems

MarkHammel
09/17/2008, 09:21 PM
All,

I'm trying to calibrate my Milwaukee SMS 122.

I purchased Pinpoint 10.0 ph and 7.0 ph from my LFS.

On the high side, I can dial into 10.0. On the low side, this highest I can dial into is like 6.3.

This is my first attempt at a Calcium Reactor/Ph Controller so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mr. pluto
09/17/2008, 09:53 PM
your supposed to use the 4.0 cal. fluid & 7.0
adjust to 7.0 with the front dial & 4.0 with the small screw hole in the back.

MarkHammel
09/18/2008, 11:40 AM
Ok, I went to my LFS to get calibration fluid and he said it didn't matter if you use 4.0/7.0 or 7.0/10.0. He said it would accomplish the same thing.

Anybody else have any experience with this?

MarkHammel
09/18/2008, 11:41 AM
Another question, how long should it take to get an accurate reading?

It seems to dial-in right away. Should I give it 5-10 mins???

MarkHammel
09/18/2008, 04:38 PM
ping

AZDesertRat
09/18/2008, 06:28 PM
For some reason Milwaukee recommends a single point calibration and not a two point calibration when you are using it for an aquarium application. When I bought my SMS-122 there was a paper in the box stating this.
Have you talked to their Tech Support people? I called them a few times over the last few years and they bent over backwards to help, they even called back long distance on more than one occasion to make sure everything was alright!
http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/contactus.html

tgreene
09/18/2008, 11:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13379870#post13379870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AZDesertRat
For some reason Milwaukee recommends a single point calibration and not a two point calibration when you are using it for an aquarium application. When I bought my SMS-122 there was a paper in the box stating this.
Have you talked to their Tech Support people? I called them a few times over the last few years and they bent over backwards to help, they even called back long distance on more than one occasion to make sure everything was alright!
http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/contactus.html
The "talking head" on the FAQ page is down right now, but if you scroll through the pH section, you'll find the answer you're looking for... I know this, because I designed Milwaukee's website! :bum:

-Tim

tgreene
09/19/2008, 07:59 AM
Okay, "Angela" the talking head is fixed... ;)

Follow the link below to Milwaukee Instruments' {FAQ Page}, then scroll through the list under pH to the 7th question, which is Why does my SMS122 only come with 7.01 calibration solution..? -- Click on that question, and the answer will be spoken to you.

http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/faq.html

For guys like AZDesertRat and others that use instrumentation on a regular basis, you'll find just about everything that you can think of to ask has been covered in this section. If you have questions that have not been answered on the FAQ page, then please fill out the form on that page to ask, and don't be surprised to see your questions eventually show up on the site!

-Tim

MarkHammel
09/19/2008, 08:58 AM
Excellent. Thanks guys.

I guess the thing that concerns me is the dial in the back doesn't get calibrated...... so it would just seem intuitive that the overall calibration would be off.

But I'll give it a try.

tgreene
09/19/2008, 09:09 AM
The screw in the back is for the factory preset, which will get you very close to final calibration.

-Tim

mr. pluto
09/20/2008, 01:55 PM
if you read the manual in their web site,it clearly states to cal. w/ 4.0 & 7.1. if you are using it for a co2 shut off you want it to be more accurate on the low end. don't you think? :)

tgreene
09/20/2008, 02:25 PM
True, but as I stated, the unit is pre-calibrated from the factory so only the 7.01 is necessary to tighten it up.

Manual: http://www.milwaukeetesters.com/pdf/SMS110-SMS120-SMS122.pdf

FWIW, I use pH monitors and controllers for a number of different things with my systems, and I've never once had to make an adjustment on the back.

-Tim

MarkHammel
09/20/2008, 04:02 PM
Ok guys... talked to a support person at Milwaukee and he was extremely helpful.

As a previous poster commented, the low-end of the SMS 122 is pre-set at the factory. When you receive a SMS 122, you only have to calibrate the front to 7.0.

When Milwaukee ships SMS 122's, they include a note specifically telling you to only calibrate the 7.0. I either didn't receive or ignored this note. The detailed instructions direct you to calibrate 4.0 and 7.0 so that is what confused me.

Since I adjusted the back of the unit, the Milwaukee person told me to go ahead and calibrate with 4.0 and 7.0 (they are sending me some calibration packets).

He recommended I dial-in the 7.0, then do the 4.0, then do one more 7.0 so that is what I'll do.

Thanks to all who responded!

Again -- I would like to comment that the support I received from Miilwaukee was great.

tgreene
09/20/2008, 06:09 PM
Chances are that you talked w/ Brian, who is a walking talking encyclopedia! ;)

-Tim