PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a "hang-on" refugium?

speckled trout
09/18/2008, 12:32 PM
Is the AQUA-FUGE 2 HANG-ON refugium worth the purchase?

I'm interested in reducing the PO4 levels and providing a place for the pods to reproduce. Is there actually enough space in one of them to grow enough macro algae to benefit the tank?

Owen28GT
09/18/2008, 12:58 PM
I have the medium CPR hang on. Its great full of pods and little creatures. with a natural gravity return all that life makes it into the tank. I have noticed increased color in my fish and corals.

speckled trout
09/18/2008, 01:14 PM
Have you had any problems keeping water flow going through it? Have you lost ever lost flow or does the pump do a good job circulating the water to the overflow/return?

Also, this is for a 100g that had a siphon type overflow box that fed a refugium below it. This worked good for about a year and then began having problems with the siphon breaking, so I eventually got rid of it. My tank looked noticeably better when I had the 20g refugium located below it. I usually kept it with around 10g of water in it so it increased my overall water volume by approx. 10%. It had a large skimmer and a light to grow some chaeto. Currently, I don't have any macro and I want to keep some.

Since this one is going to be smaller, I'm trying to decide if it's gonna be worth it.

Thanks-Mike

DTeuton
09/18/2008, 01:24 PM
I have a hang on refugion tank an i think their great,

boaconrp
09/18/2008, 04:51 PM
I ran one for a while on a 65g with great results. The chaeto was constantly growing out of the top, and the critters within were always plentiful. I think they are a great option for setups where a seperate refugium is not practical.