PDA

View Full Version : Tunze and Koralia powerhead

luckyk0505
09/18/2008, 12:34 PM
Why so big difference in price??

what are the major difference?

I have 210 gallon tank its a 7' long

Is two koralia magnum 8 is enough for flow?

an411
09/18/2008, 12:51 PM
The difference between tunze and Koralia is

Tunze has the best customer service i have ever dealt with. They are built better imo. Also they are fully controllable.

Koralia is not made as good never really had to deal with there customer service. Now they have the controllable koralia not sure how that is compared to the tunze controller.

To me its a matter of how much money you want to spend on something. I mean yes both do the same thing. I originally went with tunze for there reputation and there controllability

seagirl
09/18/2008, 12:55 PM
I can say form experience that both have great customer service. I use both in my tanks and each has it's own benefits. Tunze has been around a while and has a great reputation, hydor is quickly making a name for itself too. Both will give very good flow.

MplsMan
09/18/2008, 01:28 PM
i have a 5' 110 with 2 tunze 6100s running that with the tunze 7095 controller. i used to have the MJ mods, i would never go back, the flow you get from the tunzes is not even close, you can control the tunzes to what ever flow you want.
there expensive but worh the money, you get what you pay for.
i love them.

mudhen
09/18/2008, 01:44 PM
Comparing the two pump lines can be pretty confusing.

With so many models and features from each company, it can be hard to tell what is what.

Not all of Tunze's pumps are controllable. Only the new Hydor controllable Koralias are controllable and they must be used with Hydor's wavemakers.

The two lines are getting a bit closer in comparison as the Tunze Turbelle Stream and the Hydor Koralia line both expand.

For example, the new Tunze non-controllable Turbelle Stream 2 6125 offers 3170 gph at 24 W for around $268 (MAP - free shipping from Marine Depot).

Hydor's new non-controllable Koralia Magnum 8 offers 3250 gph at 19W for $153 at Marine Depot (no MAP) and similar price from other dealers. The new Magnums do not use an impeller shaft, so no breakage issue there.

I like both pumps. Tunze products are well built. Hydor products seem to have some new features that are making them popular these days.

Hydor's Magnums in a controllable version are supposed to be coming out early next year. I have not heard a single clue as to pricing yet. I have seen the MAP in Tunze's 6305 though, $841!, but it can do almost 8000 gph!!

mudhen

luckyk0505
09/18/2008, 09:32 PM
are they wireless?

sjm817
09/18/2008, 09:50 PM
No pumps are wireless. They all at a minimum need a power wire. Controllable pumps have more wires.

luckyk0505
09/18/2008, 10:37 PM
what is controllable?

sorrrrrrrrry about asking lots question :D

Jay180reef
09/19/2008, 10:02 AM
Controllable means you have some sort of customizable control of the rate of flow! You can have different flow patterns to simulate surge and wave action. A controllable powerhead usually requires a controller (sold separately) to tell the powerhead what to do. A regular (non-controllable) powerhead will only flow at one rate.

luckyk0505
09/19/2008, 07:50 PM
Can I use two Koralia magnum 8

for my 7x2x2 tank? or is it too much?

skriz
09/19/2008, 09:37 PM
THe tunzes are superior. Even the magnets are nicer!

The tunzes are smaller and they're tougher. If you have an issue, ROger WILL take care of you.

The controllable koralias look nice, but are too expensive for what they are. You may as well get the better Tunzes for just a little more.