PDA

View Full Version : Ugh, 5 day power outage caused me to abort QT after 2 wks. now fish have ick in DT.

Radioheadx14
09/18/2008, 06:23 PM
Ok, so i bought a yellow tang and a potters angel 2 weeks ago and had them in a quarantine tank until yesterday. Our power went out on Sunday, and luckily i had about 20g of water ready. We had a generator running to keep the QT tank and DT tank going. Well AEP said our power wouldn't be back until this coming sunday and i ran out of water 2 days ago(we have a well so no running water when the powers out). Yesterday the ammonia was near 1ppm so I had a problem...

Let the fish suffer in a QT with no water changes for 4 more days or take a chance and add them to the DT. I chose so add them to the DT becuase i figured they would be better off. And they we both super healthy and eating everything i gave them.

I added them yesterday and they seemed to be fine. They did spend a lot of time by the cleaner shrimp. Well the power came back on today and my yellow tang now has ick spots. He still eats like crazy and he doesn't seem to act funny..
should i let him go for a day or two to see if things get better?

I could see why there would be stress... high ammonia, temperature problems with breif power loss etc.

Other than the 2 fish i added yesterday i have a pair of black ocellaris clowns and a pair for bangaii cardinals.

Radioheadx14
09/18/2008, 08:29 PM
advise?

tmz
09/18/2008, 10:10 PM
You can hope and cope but the parasite is in your tank and will remain there for at least 11months without treatment even if your fish recover. It will be a constant threat to new fish and residents.

Effective treatments for the fish involve treatment in qt with copper, hyposalinity or the tank transfer method, Your display needs to be fishless for at least 6 weeks to erradicate the parasites in it.You can google search crytocaryon irriatans to learn more about the life cycle and treatment of this deadly and nasty parasite.

Alternatively ,if you have only fish and liverock in your tank you could drop the salinity in the display tank to 1.009 and keep it her for 4 weeks minimum. You need to be very accurate and precise in your sg measurement for this hyposalinity treatment and should use a refractometer.

Radioheadx14
09/19/2008, 07:40 AM
I think I'm going to treat everything. I have read that tangs and dwarf angels are sensitive to Cu and Hypo.... what should I do?

I have coppersafe and an API Cu test kit. I dont like hypo since its not always effective. Should I use copper or is it a bad idea since i have a yellow tang and a potters angel?

I also plan on having 2 QT tanks because i think a 20g L is too small for all 6 fish.

fivesmallworlds
09/19/2008, 08:29 AM
You'll more than likely be putting the fish in higher stress by trying to catch them again in the DT. If they're eating well and not acting funny then just keep an eye on them, they'll most likely beat it on their own. You can help by supplementing their food with Garlic which boosts their immune system.

Definitely don't use the copper treatments in your DT!

You'll always have Ich in your aquarium... it just can't be prevented. QT is supposed to help keep a tank ich free, but it is not fail safe.

For now leave the fish where they are and supplement their food with garlic. Once they beat it they'll be fine. More than likely they got ich because it was already in your DT and they were stressed when you added them making them succeptable to it. Taking them out, treating the ich, then putting them back just accomplishes the same thing. They'll likely get better in QT then when you add them back to the display if they're the least bit stressed they'll have ich again.

Radioheadx14
09/19/2008, 08:39 AM
when i noticed the ich yesterday, i fed some formula 2 flakes which they both ate some... i think they may have been a hesitant to eat right away from being in a new place. After that i got a cube of mysis and added vitamins and fatty acids. I guess i can add garlic gaurd too even though its antecdotal.

tmz
09/19/2008, 02:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13383031#post13383031 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fivesmallworlds
You'll more than likely be putting the fish in higher stress by trying to catch them again in the DT. If they're eating well and not acting funny then just keep an eye on them, they'll most likely beat it on their own. You can help by supplementing their food with Garlic which boosts their immune system.

Definitely don't use the copper treatments in your DT!

You'll always have Ich in your aquarium... it just can't be prevented. QT is supposed to help keep a tank ich free, but it is not fail safe.

For now leave the fish where they are and supplement their food with garlic. Once they beat it they'll be fine. More than likely they got ich because it was already in your DT and they were stressed when you added them making them succeptable to it. Taking them out, treating the ich, then putting them back just accomplishes the same thing. They'll likely get better in QT then when you add them back to the display if they're the least bit stressed they'll have ich again. :) The part about not using copper in the display is correct. The rest , I totally disagree with as does most of the science on crytocaryon irritans.It just ain't so in my experience.

tmz
09/19/2008, 02:12 PM
I would use the copper in the qt before a second infestation occurs which is a matter of 3 to 10 days.

Radioheadx14
09/19/2008, 02:46 PM
I contacted bob fenner and he said i should try to get him healthy in the DT because moving him could cause more stress. I'm going to keep an eye on him and if things get worse i will move him. He's still eating a lot so im going to try to boost his immune system now. If things get worse then i will move him.

Radioheadx14
09/19/2008, 03:48 PM
Well I just got home today and the Yellow tang looks pretty good. His color looks really good and the spots are a lot smaller and less noticeable. I'm going to observe him and make sure he stays acting healthy. The potters angel is clear of any spots and is roaming the rocks and eating what ever I feed to the tank

firebirdude
09/19/2008, 05:28 PM
For future reference, couldn't you have just bought water from somewhere?

Sk8r
09/19/2008, 05:46 PM
Sometimes there's a 'mild' outbreak under such circumstances...stress, new tank, etc. Frankly, if it were mine, I'd observe, treat with garlic, and if they throw it off, I'd just decline to get any new fish for a prolonged time, particularly any ich-susceptible fish, notably tangs, angels, clown, rabbit. If you go most of a year with no further trouble, I'd say the stuff has not successfully reproduced and wouldn't worry about it. Concentrate, say, on corals, for the next while, make sure you DON'T get a surprise like red-bug or nudis, and just enjoy the tank. My own wacko theory is that in coral-dense tanks, the corals are as apt to eat the ich in free stage as ich is to reach the fish----and ultimately it might just die out.

Radioheadx14
09/19/2008, 05:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13386555#post13386555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r
Sometimes there's a 'mild' outbreak under such circumstances...stress, new tank, etc. Frankly, if it were mine, I'd observe, treat with garlic, and if they throw it off, I'd just decline to get any new fish for a prolonged time, particularly any ich-susceptible fish, notably tangs, angels, clown, rabbit. If you go most of a year with no further trouble, I'd say the stuff has not successfully reproduced and wouldn't worry about it. Concentrate, say, on corals, for the next while, make sure you DON'T get a surprise like red-bug or nudis, and just enjoy the tank. My own wacko theory is that in coral-dense tanks, the corals are as apt to eat the ich in free stage as ich is to reach the fish----and ultimately it might just die out.

Thats what i was going to do. I have enough fish movement now that i would be fine with getting no fish for a while. Plus i have some cool inverts too. If i were to get any new fish it would be a blenny or something like that... which are pretty disease resistant from what i hear.

Sk8r
09/19/2008, 06:07 PM
Blennies and gobies are pretty bulletproof in that regard. Some of them feel like a handful of jello, and are so soupy they don't afford a real good home for the ich parasite. Give it a while to settle, and then consider, say, the starry blenny...quite a character if you can keep him out of the overflow.