PDA

View Full Version : 55 gal stocking options

louisianacajun
09/18/2008, 09:46 PM
I'm just wondering what are some very colorful and peaceful fish that I can put in my 55 gallon. I want to put inverts, clownfish, and whatever you guys can advise me on. I wanted to see if I could get at least a yellow tang and maybe some butterfly fish or angels.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

AbraxasFrog
09/18/2008, 10:16 PM
Generally speaking, angels or butterflys are not recommended in a reef setup as they have a habit of munching on the inverts. So you might want to shy away from those for now.

Tangs can be aggressive and are usually kept as single specimens, and some can get large. It might be best to keep only one in your 55gallon.

Checkout cardinals and blennies. If you have your heart set on a butterfly, check out a pennant (heniochus acuminatus) or maybe a threadfin. They tend to be peaceful, and with proper planning and water quality, could be a worthwhile addition.

shuguley
09/18/2008, 10:24 PM
In my 55, I have two clownfish, one fairy wrasse, and I just got a midas blenny today. I also have a blood red fire shrimp, and a skunk cleaner shrimp. Plus a bunch of snails and hermits. All my fish are colorful. I would probably stay away from angels and butterflies. A dwarf angel would be fine unless you plan on keeping corals, they might get nippy. And tangs, I'm thinking most people will reccomend no tangs in a 55, you might be able to get away with a kole tang, but watch out for the tang police.

mckostya
09/19/2008, 09:22 AM
you can have one juvenile tang. but plan on finding it a new home when it reaches 7". but ive seen people keep small tangs for a while in 55G

crvz
09/19/2008, 11:26 AM
I don't like the train of thought of adding a fish that you wont be able to keep for long term. If you do want a tang, consider one of the Ctenochaetus genus like shuguley points out (like the Kole), few others will be content in a tank that size for the duration.

k.tran
09/19/2008, 11:30 AM
in my 90g i have 1 sailfin 4 blue cardinals pair of picassos, 1 coris wrasse, 1 lawnmower blenny, and adding 3x convict tangs!!

im crazy!!!

HALF CUP!