PDA

View Full Version : Ever blow-start an Octopus?

ronbis
09/19/2008, 07:48 AM
I bought a new Octopus NW-150 skimmer a week ago in preparation for setting up my new 45g tech tank. When I plugged it in it made noise like it was trying to pump, but it only raised the level of water in the skimmer housing by around an inch. I took it out and tried running it in a bucket with the same result.
For some reason I blew into the airline and it took off. So I put it back in the sump - still needed a blow-start. I tried removing the impeller and re-inserting, still needed a blow-start...:(

I had the LFS get another pump. It got here yesterday. I took it home and hooked it up - same thing - had to blow in the airline to start it.

Is anyone else experiencing this with the new Octopus pumps (model OTP-2000)? I becoming suspicious that these are junk.

Kieth71
09/19/2008, 08:13 AM
Mine is doing exactly the same thing,...if you look at any of the old threads on this skimmer they seem to have done this for a long time.I called the place i got this and they basically told me thats how they are.I wish they had told me be fore i bought it as i would not have.Every time i turn it off it needs to be restarted this way.Oh well live and learn...the next skimmer i buy i will spend a bit more money on it.I actually had originally ordered the octo extreme 160 but they took so long to get it i couldnt wait any longer so i ordered this instead.I guess as long as it works this is a minor inconvenience.:fish1:

JRaquatics
09/19/2008, 08:13 AM
I have owned or messed with my fair share of octo skimmers but have never experienced having to blow start them. Does the pump pull it's own air when it is disconnected from the skimmer? Any pictures?

ronbis
09/19/2008, 09:51 AM
I disconnected the pump from the skimmer when I put it in the bucket trying to get it to run. It didn't pull air or pump water until I blew into the airline. There is another thread where there are pictures
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1407750

timthetoolman
09/19/2008, 09:57 AM
I've had other skimmers do that.

ronbis
09/19/2008, 10:10 AM
I'm thinking about seeing if I can swap it out for a different skimmer. What would be a better skimmer for a 45G?

cveverly
09/19/2008, 11:29 AM
That is really odd. I have a Resun pump on my 100F and it has never failed to start. Are you using a Octo or Resun pump? If it is the Bh 1000 I think that is the Octo pump.

Sounds like the motor is going "lock rotor" on start up.

If you are buying from a local store see if the BH 2000 does the same thing before you leave the store.

seawandrr
09/19/2008, 01:28 PM
As a data point, my Octo NW-150's pump has done this since day one.

I tried for a few weeks to find a way to get it to self start... never did.

Being an in-sump skimmer, I just modified my processes, and just pull the cup off with the skimmer running to empty/clean it.

If I do have to unplug, or there's a power outage, a quick puff re-starts it.

Not optimal, but seemingly not easily fixed either.

chem-e
09/19/2008, 02:26 PM
My Octupus skimmer needed a blow-start as well after I mesh modded it. In the end, the pump fried when I had a power outage and when the power kicked back on, so did the pump, but the impellor wasn't spinning. After that, I bought a new pump and didn't mod it. Now it works fine and I don't plan on modding it again. ;)

Personally, I don't think that the pump should be doing this if it's new. Did you mod the pump or overtighten something to restrict the impellor?

Kieth71
09/19/2008, 02:48 PM
I have read threads on here about this skimmer(after buying it already oh well) about them having this problem since 2006.I am guessing since it is a more inexpensive skimmer they felt they could get away with it and still sell it succesfully and it appears they have done that lol.The threads i have read are from stock pumps ..no mods.

Reefbox
09/19/2008, 02:52 PM
I've had the ocopus for prob 2 years and it needs blow started once in awhile.

ronbis
09/19/2008, 03:30 PM
No mod on this pump, but it is my understanding that Octopus changed the design of the needle wheel (probably because everyone had to mod it) recently - maybe when they changed the chamber design. Don't know this for a fact, but I seem to remember reading it on here somewhere...

timthetoolman
09/19/2008, 10:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13385454#post13385454 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chem-e
My Octupus skimmer needed a blow-start as well after I mesh modded it. In the end, the pump fried when I had a power outage and when the power kicked back on, so did the pump, but the impellor wasn't spinning. After that, I bought a new pump and didn't mod it. Now it works fine and I don't plan on modding it again. ;)

Personally, I don't think that the pump should be doing this if it's new. Did you mod the pump or overtighten something to restrict the impellor?

I should have said the one that needed a start was mesh moded too.

Paulairduck
09/19/2008, 10:49 PM
If it is mesh modded you can trim it a little to get it to start buy itself, I had this issue with my ATI, and I could not stand, blow starting my skimmer.

chem-e
09/21/2008, 05:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13388278#post13388278 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paulairduck
If it is mesh modded you can trim it a little to get it to start buy itself, I had this issue with my ATI, and I could not stand, blow starting my skimmer.

I was about to re-mod it, but decided not to as I didn't want to burn another pump. :D

rort
09/22/2008, 10:30 AM
I have the DNW 150 and have experienced the same thing!! It was working fine for a week.

Anyone been able to fix it yet??

Joshua1023
09/22/2008, 06:12 PM
Just out of curiosity, how far below water surface is your pump sitting? I've found messing w/ a few needlewheel pumps, that if it is too far down it has a hard time starting and if you can get it up a bit closer to the surface it will self start no problem. I have no direct experience w/ your pump though except in a recirculation type setup.

Just a thought.

rort
09/22/2008, 08:03 PM
i will get some pictures up later tonight